Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Live History: Mystery Building Workshop: Kids 10 to 13 years can sign up for mysteries that are hands-on, interactive, and wildly fun. Fans of mystery novels, shows and theatre will love this workshop where they’ll learn to build a mystery while engaging with local history in a way they have never seen before. Build a mystery to stump friends and family, or learn how to become a sleuth during your favourite mystery programs Aug. 23, 1 to 2 p.m. in the Nancy Bennett Program Room at the Poirier branch. Register online through the Coquitlam Heritage Society website (coquitlamheritage.ca). Parents of children who are 10 years old must stay in the library during the program.
• Movie Screening: Black Panther: Toppled by an outsider, the king of a technologically advanced but secretive African nation fights to regain his throne in this blockbuster superhero flick. This PG-rated film will play at both branches Friday, Aug. 17, 1:30 to 3:45 p.m. No registration required — just drop in.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Stuffie Sleepover: Kids, bring your bravest stuffed animals to the library next Wednesday, Aug. 15 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. for an evening of crafts, storytimes, games and more. After the festivities, stuffies will be left to sleep over at the library and who knows what trouble they will get into after the staff go home. Stuffies can be picked up after noon Aug. 16 and receive a special picture book of all their friends’ adventures. No registration required.
• Summer Reading Club medal ceremony: Complete 50 days of reading and get a medal Saturday, Aug. 25. You can pick up a free timed ticket at the library information desk.
• eBooks: Have a new smart phone, tablet or eReader? Check out PMPL’s great eBooks collection. From the latest best-selling novels to the best “how-to” guides and classic fiction, PoMo library has thousands of eBooks and downloadable audiobooks for your electronic device. Find out more by visiting library.portmoody.ca and clicking on Digital Content.
For more info, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Summer Reading Club: Get ready for Motion Commotion with the Summer Reading Club at Terry Fox Library — there is a club for everybody. Fox has reading records, contests and special events for all ages. Sign-up continues all summer long. Visit www.fvrl.ca for more information.
• Summer Reading Club Medal Ceremony with Ginalina: Be part of a musical adventure celebrating nature, family, friends and more. Ginalina is a Juno-nominated children’s singer-songwriter who writes rollicking, roaring and ridiculously catchy songs for the whole family to sing together. She’ll perform Aug. 15, 2 to 2:45 p.m., with the medal ceremony to follow from 2:45 to 3:45 p.m. at Leigh Square.
• Library at the market: Terry Fox Library will be at the Port Coquitlam Farmers Market with a special storytime for Multicultural Day, Aug. 23, 3:30 to 4 p.m. — find librarians in the Kids Korner.
For more info, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.