Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Pro-D Day Movie: Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation: Showing Friday, Oct. 19, 1:30 to 3:15 p.m. in Rooms 136 and 137 at the City Centre branch and in the Nancy Bennett Room at the Poirier branch. In this animated film (97 minutes, rated General), Mavis surprises Dracula with a vacation on a Monster Cruise Ship. Once on board, romance blooms between Drac and the ship’s captain, Ericka, who is hiding a deadly secret. Voices by Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez and Genndy Tartakovsky. Registration not required — just drop in.
• B.C. referendum information session: The referendum’s mail-in voting period is Oct. 22 to Nov. 30 so be informed before you cast your vote. This session will explain proportional representation voting systems and consider the pros and cons of changing how we vote in B.C. The information session happens Oct. 25, 6:30 to 8 p.m. in Room 136 at the City Centre branch. No registration necessary — just drop in.
• Introduction to virtual reality: People ages 14 to 30 years can find out what virtual reality (VR) is all about in this one-day workshop. Spend the morning exploring the history of VR, the future career opportunities and skills needed to work in the field. The afternoon will be filled with hands-on activities where you will build your first VR application. Lunch is not included. This standalone class is on Saturday, Nov. 17, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 137 at the City Centre branch. Register by phoning 604-554-7334. This program is a partnership with the Advanced Education Institute of Canada.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Staying safe online: October is Cyber Security Awareness Month. This workshop Wednesday, Oct. 17 from 10 to 11 a.m. will explain common terms and provide practical tips on how to protect yourself online. Call the library at 604-469-4577 to register.
• Wills and estates: Wednesday, Oct. 17 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room, join Lawyer Garrett Munroe to learn what you need to plan for the future. This workshop will cover all the main documents needed for a personal estate plan (including power of attorney and representation agreements) and how one’s bank accounts, property and trusts should be structured. Presented in partnership with the People’s Law School. Register for this program by calling 604-469-4577.
• Resume know-how: A solid job search begins with a well-crafted resume. If your resume isn’t getting you noticed for jobs you are applying for, or writing resumes is new for you, join Lisa Stephen, employment resource facilitator and certified professional resume writer from Port Moody WorkBC, to gain insight into what makes a resume stand out. This workshop will in the library’s ParkLane room Oct. 18 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Call the library at 604-469-4577 to register.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Babytime: Make language fun. Head to Terry Fox Library and help your baby develop speech and language skills — enjoy bouncing, singing and rhyming with stories. Babytime is a fun, social bonding activity for babies and caregivers. You can spend time after the program to meet and socialize on Fridays through Dec. 14, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. (drop-in).
•SFU’s Philosophers’ Café: A series of informal public discussions in the heart of our communities. Since 1998, this award-winning program has engaged the interests of scholars, seniors, students, philosophers, and non-philosophers through stimulating dialogue and the passionate exchange of ideas. Cafés will be held on Thursdays, Oct. 18, Nov. 15 and Dec. 13, 7 to 8:30 p.m. (drop-in).
• English Practice Group: Practise English in a friendly, social situation. Presented in partnership with Share Family and Community Services Thursdays through Dec. 20, 10:30 a.m. to noon (drop-in).
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.