• Pyjama Storytime on Burke Mountain: Join librarians for a bedtime story at the new Smiling Creek Activity Centre (3456 Princeton Ave.). Bring your family for a fun, no-cost evening of crafts, games and active play in the gym. Make yourself at home at Burke Mountain’s newest hangout — all ages welcome. Library Link will also be there. This storytime happens every Thursday until Dec. 13 from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Introduction to Virtual Reality: People ages 14 to 30 years can find out what virtual reality (VR) is all about in this one-day workshop. Spend the morning exploring the history of VR, the future career opportunities and skills needed to work in the field. The afternoon will be filled with hands-on activities where you will build your first VR application. Lunch is not included. This standalone class can be taken Saturday Nov. 17, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 137 at the City Centre branch. Register by phoning 604-554-7334. This program is a partnership with the Advanced Education Institute of Canada.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Drag Queen Storytime: Join librarians in the Inlet Theatre Saturday, Nov. 3 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. to celebrate inclusion and diversity with a fabulous storytime for all families. No registration required but seating is first come, first served. Presented in partnership with International Centre of Arts and Technology.
• SFU Philosopher’s Café — Dispute Resolution: Monday, Nov. 5 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., the Philosopher’s Café will be discussing dispute resolution: What are the key elements of dispute resolution? Does it make a difference if it’s with someone you know or a stranger? Drop in to this program in the library’s ParkLane Room, no registration required.
• Frauds and scams: Fraudsters often target older adults to rob them of their money and possessions. You can learn how to protect yourself in this workshop Tuesday, Nov. 6 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room. Call 604-469-4577 to register. This program is presented in partnership with Council of Senior Citizens’ Organizations of BC.
• Teen Writers Club: A writing group for students aged 12 to 18 years with weekly challenges, prizes and the opportunity to meet other writers. The group will meet Nov. 5, 19 and 26 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Speech and language drop-in clinic: Drop by Terry Fox Library and talk with one of the Fraser Health Unit’s speech-language pathologists for five to 10 minutes. Your child will receive a brief screening of his or her communication skills and you will receive help for your child’s speech and language development. This clinic is for children who have not been referred and is best suited for families that are not sure if a referral is needed. Clients are seen on a first-come, first-served basis Tuesday, Nov. 6, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
• Storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with storytime. Children and caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes, and more: Mondays, Nov. 5 to Dec. 10, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m.; Wednesdays, Nov. 7 to Dec. 12, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m.; and Saturdays, Nov. 10 to Dec. 8, 11 to 11:30 a.m. (drop-in).
• Adults movie night: Come to the library for a free movie celebrating 30 years of films with classics and fan favourites. Next, on Monday, Nov. 5, 6 to 8 p.m.: Runaway Jury (2004) — just drop in.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
PORT MOODY PUBLIC LIBRARY SURVEY
• Online survey: Port Moody Public Library wants to hear from you. Help inform the Library’s next strategic plan by completing the survey at library.portmoody.ca by Nov. 22 and be entered to win a prize from a local business.