Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Thanksgiving Storytime: Parents and children aged birth to six years old are invited to spend quality family time together enjoying songs, stories and rhymes Monday, Oct. 8 in Room 137 at the City Centre branch. No registration necessary — just drop in.
• Pro-D Day Movie: Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation: Showing Friday, Oct. 19, 1:30 to 3:15 p.m. in Rooms 136 and 137 at the City Centre branch and in the Nancy Bennett Room at the Poirier branch. In this animated film (97 minutes, rated G), Mavis surprises Dracula with a vacation on a Monster Cruise Ship. Once on board, romance blooms between Drac and the ship’s captain, Ericka, who is hiding a deadly secret. Registration not required — just drop in.
• Introduction to Virtual Reality: People ages 14 to 30 years can find out what virtual reality (VR) is all about in this one-day workshop. Spend the morning exploring the history of VR, the future career opportunities and skills needed to work in the field. The afternoon will be filled with hands-on activities where you will build your first VR application. Lunch is not included. This standalone class can be taken on either Saturday, Oct. 6 or Nov. 17, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 137 at the City Centre branch. Register by phoning 604-554-7334. This program is a partnership with the Advanced Education Institute of Canada.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Tech Buddies: Get paired up with one of PMPL’s knowledgeable and patient teen helpers, and get one-on-one computer tech help at the library. Learn how to use your computer, smart phone or tablet. This program is perfect for beginning and intermediate users who want some help getting started, or wish to learn more about the different functions on their devices. Bring your own laptop, tablet or smart phone, or use one of the library’s computers. Sessions are from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on the following Fridays: Oct. 5 (tonight), 12, 19 and 26. Call 604-469-4577 to register. Please choose one session only.
• Fire Station Storytimes: On Oct. 11 or 12 from 10:30 to 11 a.m., celebrate Fire Prevention Week by taking a field trip to Port Moody fire hall No. 1. Have a special tour and storytime with Port Moody Fire Rescue. This is a registered program; call 604-469-4577 to reserve a spot. Program will start at the fire hall.
• Star Wars Reads Day: Calling all Jedi and Sith from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 13, experience Star Wars in the library with crafts, Jedi Training Academy, contests, prizes and more. There will be fun activities for very age. Come in costume for the chance to win a Star Wars Reads Day prize pack. All ages welcome; drop in, no registration required.
For more info, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
•SFU’s Philosophers’ Café: A series of informal public discussions in the heart of our communities. Since 1998, this award-winning program has engaged the interests of scholars, seniors, students, philosophers, and non-philosophers through stimulating dialogue and the passionate exchange of ideas. Cafés will be held on Thursdays, Oct. 18, Nov. 15 and Dec. 13, 7 to 8:30 p.m., drop-in.
• Tri-City Wordsmiths: Increase your knowledge and skill in the literary arts with the Tri-City Wordsmiths. Visit www.tri-citywordsmiths.ca for more information and monthly topics. The group meets Saturdays, Oct. 13 and Dec. 1, 2 to 4:30 p.m. Contact the library to register.
For more info, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.