This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• 3D printing orientation open house: Learn how to use CPL’s 3D printers, scanners and high-powered creative software Feb. 15 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Innovation Hub at the City Centre branch. Drop in anytime during the open house.
• Family Day storytime: Parents and kids of all ages are invited to try games and activities to celebrate Literacy Day Monday, Feb. 18, 11 to 11:30 a.m. at the City Centre branch in Rooms 136 and 137. Just drop in — no registration required.
• Pro-D day movie: Incredibles 2: Take a break Friday, Feb. 22 and watch The Incredibles battle a mind-control menace known as Screenslaver in Disney/Pixar’s Incredibles 2 (127 minutes, rated PG). The movie will screen from 1:30 to 3:40 p.m. at both the Poirier and City Centre branches. Registration not required — just drop in.
• Friends of CPL shred-a-thon: Come to the Friends’ first ever shred-a-thon event and get started early on spring cleaning. Securely shred your confidential documents with bonded professionals Saturday, Feb. 23, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Poirier branch. Limit of four 100-lb. banker boxes per person/family; no metals, plastics, photographs or negatives. Admission to this event is by donation; suggested minimum is $5 per banker box. All proceeds benefit the library. This event is sponsored by Green Machine Shredding.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Writing workshop: W.L. Hawkin: Deciding how to structure a novel is not easy. In this workshop Feb. 20 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., local author W.L. Hawkin will take you through the mythic hero journey structure that has been used for well-known works like Star Wars and Harry Potter. The class will cover the aspects of the journey and how to apply them to your novel. This is for youths 14 years and older and adults. Call 604-469-4577 to reserve a spot.
• Intro to ukulele for kids: Learn how to play the ukulele Feb. 22 from 2 to 3 p.m. Kids can learn to tune, play chords and read ukulele sheet music in this intro workshop for ages 8 and older — participants must bring their own ukulele. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Pro-D day movie: Feb. 22, enjoy a free screening of How to Train Your Dragon (rated G). Showtime is at 2 p.m., doors will open at 1:30 p.m. No registration required but seating is first come, first served. Children under 10 must be accompanied by a caregiver.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Healthy aging: Healthy aging is more than just the absence of disease and disability. Nobody escapes the effects of aging. Even if you are in your 20s and 30s, the sooner you begin to take proactive steps to prevent the negative effects of aging, the better off you will be as you proceed along the age continuum. This session is set for Feb. 21, 2 to 3:30 p.m. Call or visit the library to register
• Stuffie sleepover: Ever wonder what your stuffed animals do when you’re not around? Come to stuffed animal storytime and tuck your stuffie in for a night at the library. Follow librarians’ updates on the library’s Facebook page to see what shenanigans they get up to. This runs Feb. 20, 6:15 to 7 p.m. — drop-in.
• Kids’ introduction to coding: Are you a computational thinker? Do you like logic puzzles, finding patterns and breaking down problems? Then come and learn the basics of coding featuring new Ozobots (interactive robots) March 9, 1 to 3 p.m. This is for kids ages 10 to 13 years. Call or visit the library to register.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.