This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Daisy Day: Visit the Library Link at the nth Annual Daisy Day June 22. Daisy Day, a free event, is a lively, and family-friendly festival celebrating the Austin Heights neighbourhood.
• Glass Beads listening party: Join librarians for a One eRead Canada listening party featuring Dawn Dumont’s short-story collection Glass Beads. You can listen to a couple of short stories from Dumont’s collection and then have an informal discussion about them June 25 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch, Room 127. This program is free but registration is required at www.coqlibrary.ca.
• BC Summer Reading Club 2019: This year’s theme is Imagine the Possibilities! and it’s for kids aged four years and older; registration opened June 1. Go to either branch or visit the Library Link to register.
• Middle School Summer Reading Club: Join the Middle School Summer Reading Club by visiting either branch or the Library Link, starting June 1, to register (your name, grade, and the name of your school). Review your favourite books and win prizes! Earn a book prize with the first review you submit. Additional reviews will be entered for prize draws throughout the summer.
• Adult Summer Reading Club: The Adult Summer Reading Club runs through Aug. 16. Read what you want — chick lit, YA, historical fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, whatever — and read one book or 50. Every book you read and review gives you an entry into a weekly draw for Coquitlam library merchandise and will also go into a grand prize draw, to be held Sept. 3. The more you read, the more entries you get. Register starting June 1; go to either branch and sign up at the Help Desk. Forms will also be available online.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next session for VR: June 21. Next session for 3D printing: June 28.
• Summer learning and fun: Summer learning activities for kids will run on Tuesdays (Poirier branch) and Wednesdays (City Centre branch) from July 2 to Aug. 7. Find out more at www.coqlibrary.ca.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• One-on-one service from SUCCESS: Tuesday, June 25 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room, you can get help from BCSIS at SUCCESS with applications for immigration, Express Entry, BCPNP, LMIA, employment, Canada Child Benefit, BC Housing, rental assistance, renewing citizenship, Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, etc. This is for all non-permanent residents but excluding visitors and citizens born in Canada. Call 604-468-6069 to book a session.
• Share English practice group for adults: Looking for a place to practise speaking English? Share Family and Community Services’ English practice groups at Port Moody Public Library meet June 21 and 28. All levels of speakers are welcome to drop into the ParkLane Room from 9:30 to 11 a.m. and join other English learners in this free program hosted by Share volunteers. Enjoy conversations with the other participants and the group leader. You will also find out more about your community in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Call Share at 604-936-3900 for more information. The group will be taking a summer break after the June 28 meeting and will next gather Sept. 6.
• Stories Galore and More: Wednesday, July 3, join librarians across the street from the library at Pioneer Memorial Park for a family storytime for all ages. Enjoy stories, songs and a fun craft. This is presented in partnership with the Tri-Cities Literacy Committee — drop in, no registration required.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Thanks for the Memories: Join librarians for an afternoon of mingling over refreshments and reminiscing as they prepare to say goodbye to the old Terry Fox Library and move into the new space in the renovated Port Coquitlam recreation complex. Everyone is welcome to visit June 27, 1 to 4 p.m. — drop in.
• Ukulele Jam: All “uked” up and no place to jam? All levels of experience are welcome at Fox’s fun and relaxed ukulele circle June 25, 7 to 8:30 p.m. — drop in.
• Storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with storytime. Children and their caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes and more June 24 and 26, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. — drop in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.