This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next session for 3D printing: May 3. Next session for VR: May 10.
• Remember floppy drives?: The Digitization Station at Poirier branch has added a floppy disk drive to its list of equipment. Members of the public can now transfer data on 3.5-inch floppy disks to USB flash drive. Book an appointment by visiting the Poirier branch or by calling 604-937-4141.
• Burke Mountain pyjama storytime and playtime: Join librarians on Burke Mountain every Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. for a fun, free evening of crafts, games, and active play for all ages. Pyjama storytime happens from 6:30 to 7 p.m. and the Library Link book bus visits from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Smiling Creek Activity Centre, 3456 Princeton Ave.
• Coming soon: B.C. Summer Reading Club: This year’s theme is Imagine the Possibilities! Registration begins June 1.
• Teen quiz night: Compete for prizes in the library’s annual quiz by teens for teens. Categories include: science, history, geography, literature, current events and entertainment and quiz night is set for June 27, 6:15 to 8:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Register in teams of up to six people by calling or emailing librarian Chris Miller: 604-554-7339 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Child and preteen sleep clinic: Join sleep consultant Jolan Holmes May 22 from 7 to 8 p.m. for a presentation on child and preteen sleep; it will focus on how technology and busy schedules may affect sleep, and how to support children in getting the sleep they need. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• One-on-one drop-in service from SUCCESS: May 21 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room, you can get drop-in help from BCSIS at SUCCESS with applications for immigration, Express Entry, BCPNP, LMIA, employment, Canada Child Benefit, BC Housing, rental assistance, renewing citizenship, Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, etc. This session is for all non-permanent residents but excluding visitors and citizens born in Canada.
• An evening with Eve Lazarus: Join true crime author Eve Lazarus in the Inlet Theatre May 23 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., when she will share stories from the seedier side of Vancouver and talk about her latest book, Murder by Milkshake: An Astonishing True Story of Adultery, Arsenic and a Charismatic Killer. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr.
• Philosophers’ Café: A series of informal public discussions in the heart of our communities, this award-winning program has engaged the interests of scholars, seniors, students, philosophers and non-philosophers through stimulating dialogue and the passionate exchange of ideas. Next session: May 16, 7 to 8:30 p.m. — drop in.
• Dad Time: A fun, drop-in program for dads and all caregivers with little ones from birth to five years old. Join librarians for songs, stories, games and crafts, with time after the program to meet and socialize. Next session: May 18, 2 to 2:45 p.m. — drop in.
• Family fort night: Come after hours one last time to the current Terry Fox Library Friday, May 24 for fort building and reading by flashlight. Fort materials will be provided — you bring flashlights and snacks. This final session runs 5:30 to 7 p.m. Space is limited so call or visit the library to register.
Info: fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.