This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Trivia Night 2019: It’s a pirate party! Come dressed like a pirate for this event, which will feature a no-host bar sponsored by the Kinsmen and snacks and refreshments as well as prizes, raffles and bragging rights. This event is set for April 12 at the Poirier branch, starting at 7 p.m. and proceeds will benefit tech for families. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased at the library. For more information, call 604-937-4130 or email email@example.com.
• Library Champions info session: Do you have permanent residency status? Become a Library Champion and volunteer to help other new immigrants in your community Thursday, April 18, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch, Room 127. Register for this free program at www.coqlibrary.ca.
• Easter Monday storytime: Celebrate spring with stories, songs and more at the end of the Easter long weekend. Stay after the storytime to play with Lego, Keva planks and games inside the program rooms April 22, 11 to 11:30 a.m. at the City Centre branch. Registration not required — just drop in.
• Teen poetry slam: Join CPL’s annual performance poetry competition for teenagers, eat snacks, win prizes. For kids in Grades 8 to 12. Register in advance by calling or emailing librarian Chris Miller: 604-554-7339 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, if there is space, you can register at the door Thursday, April 25, 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch.
• Pro-D day movie: Ralph Breaks the Internet: Come watch video game villain Ralph and his friend Vanellope von Schweetz scour the vast, confusing, distracting worldwide web to find a part they hope will save her game in this Disney animated flick (115 minutes, rated G). The screening is Friday, April 26, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at both the Poirier and City Centre branches.
• Science Expo 2019: Celebrate knowledge and discovery with librarians at the fourth annual Coquitlam Public Library Science Expo for elementary, middle and high school students in the Tri-Cities. It’s set for May 2 at the City Centre branch. To be part of the Expo, students must submit registration and a consent forms. The deadline for submissions is April 18.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• What is counselling?: This workshop, April 24 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room with therapeutic counsellor Rebecca Helps, will provide an overview of what counselling is, what types are available are best for each person, and how to find the right counsellor. Call 604-469-4577 to reserve a seat.
• Intro to Excel Level 2: Join librarians April 16 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. in the ParkLane Room for the second of PMPL’s Learn Microsoft Excel series, hands-on workshops for beginners and those who want to refresh their skills. In this session, participants will cover performing simple calculations on your data, doing simple analysis using functions and formulae, as well as ways to simplify data entry. This is for those who have completed Excel Level 1 or those who have basic knowledge of Excel; you must be comfortable using a keyboard and mouse. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Teen volunteers needed: Are you a teen looking for leadership opportunities and volunteer hours? The library has many opportunities to build skills in programs such as Book Buddies, Code Buddies and Tech Help after school and on weekends. Visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577 for more details.
• Ukulele Jam: Come jam April 17 from 7 to 8 p.m. — learn and play new songs together. For people who have some ukulele experience (know at least C, G, and F chord). Must bring your own ukulele. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Paper bead craft for Earth Day: Get ready for Earth Day by creating paper beads out of old library materials, then turn the beads into your very own necklace, bracelet or bookmark topper. This session is set for April 13, 1 to 3 p.m. — drop in.
• Saturday Storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with storytime. Children and caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes and more Saturday, April 13, 11 to 11:30 a.m. — drop in.
• Movie might: Head to Terry Fox Library for a free movie and popcorn. Next screening is Monday, April 15, 6 to 8 p.m. and the featured film is Sully. Just drop in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.