This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Speed tournament: A tournament for the card game Speed, with prizes for first, second and third place is for teens and adults aged 14 and up Friday, March 29, 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Never played? No problem! Join the teaching session at 1:30 p.m., then test your skills in the beginners’ bracket. Full rules will be posted soon. To register, email librarian Chris Miller at email@example.com with your name, age and phone number.
• Trivia Night 2019: It’s a pirate party! Come dressed like a pirate for this event, which will feature a no-host bar sponsored by the Kinsmen and snacks and refreshments as well as prizes, raffles and bragging rights. This event is set for April 12 at the City Centre branch, starting at 7 p.m. and proceeds will benefit tech for families. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased at the library. For more information, call 604-937-4130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Science Expo 2019: Celebrate knowledge and discovery with librarians at the fourth annual Coquitlam Public Library Science Expo for elementary, middle and high school students in the Tri-Cities. It’s set for May 2 at the City Centre branch. To be part of the Expo, students must submit registration and a consent forms. The deadline for submissions is April 18.
• Easter Monday storytime: Celebrate spring with stories, songs and more at the end of the Easter long weekend. Stay after the storytime to play with Lego, Keva planks and games inside the program rooms April 22, 11 to 11:30 a.m. at the City Centre branch. Registration not required — just drop in.
• Teen poetry slam: Join CPL’s annual performance poetry competition for teenagers, eat snacks, win prizes. For kids in Grades 8 to 12. Register in advance by calling or emailing librarian Chris Miller: 604-554-7339 or email@example.com. Alternately, if there is space, you can register at the door Thursday, April 25, 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch.
• Pro-D day movie: Ralph Breaks the Internet: Come watch video game villain Ralph and his friend Vanellope von Schweetz scour the vast, confusing, distracting worldwide web to find a part they hope will save her game in this Disney animated flick (115 minutes, rated G). The screening is Friday, April 26, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at both the Poirier and City Centre branches.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Science World on the Road: From flying chickens to hair-raising electrical displays — experience spectacular science demonstrations that showcase the power and spectacle of chemistry, physics and more. Join Science World on the Road for lots of hands-on fun to help you ignite the wonder of science March 23 from 11 to 11:45 a.m. This program is applicable for school-aged kids. Call or visit the library to register
• Movie matinee: Head to Terry Fox Library for a family-friendly movie matinee March 28, 2 to 3:30 p.m. — drop in.
• Spring break VR: Need a break? Experience the thrill of virtual reality at the library. Put on the HTC Vive goggles and let the real world wash away. You can try out a mix of virtual games and educational experiences. This program is intended for ages 10 and older or 48 inches or taller. All kids under 18 years must have a waiver signed by their parent or guardian (waivers available at the library or from fvrl.bc.ca/virtual_reality). VR session is set for March 26, noon to 4 p.m. — drop in.
Info: fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.
• Spring break code camps: Kids aged eight to 12 years of age who have done coding in Scratch can join librarians for a Harry Potter- or Dogman-themed coding camp during March 19 or 21 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Register — for one session only — by calling 604-469-4577.
• Spring break movie: Enjoy a free family movies Friday, March 22 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Inlet Theatre, when librarians will screen Christopher Robin (PG, 120 minutes). No registration is required but seating is first come, first served. Note that children under 10 must be accompanied by a caregiver.
• Health Matters: Alzheimer’s family training: Do you provide care to a parent or senior with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia? This presentation March 27 from 7 to 8 p.m. by Fatma Taha will explain symptoms and diagnoses, ways to support and engage a senior with dementia, how to encourage activities, techniques to help with different types of behaviours, and the right approach to caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia to maintain their quality of life. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Stuffie sleepover: Kids, bring your bravest stuffed animals to the library next TUesday, March 26 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. for an evening of crafts, storytimes, games and more. After the festivities are done, stuffies will be left to sleep over at the library and who knows what trouble they will get into after the staff go home. Stuffies can be picked up after noon March 27 and receive a special picture book of all their friends’ adventures. Drop-in, no registration required.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.