This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next session for 3D printing: May 31. Next session for VR: June 7.
• BC Highland Games: Coquitlam librarians will be in attendance at the 88th BC Highland Games and Scottish Festival June 15 at Town Centre Park — come for a visit.
• Daisy Days: Come visit the Library Link at the 9th Annual Daisy Day on Saturday, June 22. Daisy Day, a free event, is a lively, and family-friendly festival celebrating the Austin Heights neighbourhood.
• BC Summer Reading Club 2019: This year’s theme is Imagine the Possibilities! and it’s for kids aged four years and older; registration opened June 1. Go to either branch or visit the Library Link to register.
• Middle School Summer Reading Club: Join the Middle School Summer Reading Club by visiting either branch or the Library Link, starting June 1, to register (your name, grade, and the name of your school). Review your favourite books and win prizes! Earn a book prize with the first review you submit. Additional reviews will be entered for prize draws throughout the summer.
• Adult Summer Reading Club: The Adult Summer Reading Club runs through Aug. 16. Read what you want — chick lit, YA, historical fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, whatever — and read one book or 50. Every book you read and review gives you an entry into a weekly draw for Coquitlam library merchandise and will also go into a grand prize draw, to be held Sept. 3. The more you read, the more entries you get. Register starting June 1; go to either branch and sign up at the Help Desk. Forms will also be available online.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Share English practice group for adults: Looking for a place to practise speaking English? Share Family and Community Services’ English practice groups at Port Moody Public Library meet every Friday in June. All levels of speakers are welcome to drop into the ParkLane Room from 9:30 to 11 a.m. and join other English learners in this free program hosted by Share volunteers. Enjoy conversations with the other participants and the group leader. You will also find out more about your community in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Call Share at 604-936-3900 for more information.
• InspireHealth cancer care workshop: Tuesday, June 18 from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room, an InspireHealth physician and nutritionist will lead an educational and interactive session for adults with a current or past cancer diagnosis. Family members and support people are also welcome. Please call InspireHealth at 604-734-7125 to register. InspireHealth is a not-for-profit supportive cancer care organization approved by the BC Ministry of Health
• Ukulele jam: Jam with librarians Tuesday, June 18 from 7 to 8 p.m. — learn and play new songs together. This jam is for people who know basics (C, G, and F chords), and you must bring your own ukulele. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Summer Reading Club: Get ready to Imagine the Possibilities during this year’s summer reading club — there’s a club for every reader. Terry Fox has reading records, contests and special events for all ages. Sign up starts June 3. Visit www.fvrl.ca for more information.
• Old Library Escape Room — second date added: June 18: The library is slotted for demolition and you’re trapped inside! Crack codes and solve puzzles to escape! This escape room event takes place 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sign up now for your 45-minute time