This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Easter Monday storytime: Celebrate spring with stories, songs and more at the end of the Easter long weekend. Stay after the storytime to play with Lego, Keva planks and games inside the program rooms April 22, 11 to 11:30 a.m. at the City Centre branch. Registration not required — just drop in.
• Storytimes: Spring storytimes begin the week of May 2. Find the new schedule for City Centre and Poirier branches at coqlibrary.ca/programs-events/children.
• Pro-D day movie: Ralph Breaks the Internet: Come watch video game villain Ralph and his friend Vanellope von Schweetz scour the vast, confusing, distracting worldwide web to find a part they hope will save her game in this Disney animated flick (115 minutes, rated G). The screening is Friday, April 26, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at both the Poirier and City Centre branches.
• Science Expo 2019: Celebrate knowledge and discovery with librarians at the fourth annual Coquitlam Public Library Science Expo for elementary, middle and high school students in the Tri-Cities. It’s set for May 2 at the City Centre branch. To be part of the Expo, students must submit registration and a consent forms. The deadline for submissions is April 18.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Tabletop Day: Game on! Drop in to the library April 27 between 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for an epic day of board game fun. Make new friends and enemies, test award-winning tabletop games for all ages, and get tips from local experts. Take your games night to the next level by trying out something new — drop in.
• One-on-one drop in service from SUCCESS: Tuesday, April 23 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room, you can get help from BCSIS at SUCCESS with applications for immigration, Express Entry, BCPNP, LMIA, employment, Canada Child Benefit, BC Housing, rental assistance, renewing citizenship, Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, etc. This drop-in event is for all non-permanent residents but excluding visitors and citizens born in Canada.
• Being an executor: The executor is tasked with carrying out the instructions contained in a will. This program will cover what’s involved in taking on the responsibility of “settling” an estate as an executor — from locating the will to distributing the estate according to the instructions in the will. Call 604-469-4577 to register for this program in the library’s ParkLane Room Tuesday, April 23 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. — presented by the People’s Law School.
• Pro-D day movie: Friday, April 26, enjoy a free screening of Mary Poppins Returns (130 minutes, rated G). Showtime is at 1 p.m., doors will open at 12:30 p.m. No registration required but seating is first come, first served. Children under 10 must be accompanied by a caregiver.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Journey through the Inside Passage: Join traveller Elspeth Bowers as she presents a one-of-a-kind journey to the Pacific Northwest’s Inside Passage aboard the MV Aurora Explorer. The 135-foot working boat transports a variety of heavy equipment and general freight throughout the Gulf of Georgia and the remote inlets of Johnstone and Queen Charlotte Strait. Come hear Bowers as she talks about her trip on the iconic ship exploring B.C.’s working coast Thursday April 25, 6:30 to 8 p.m.
• Pro-D Day movie matinee: Looking for something to do on pro-D day? Come to Terry Fox Library for a movie matinee Friday, April 26, 2 to 3:30 p.m. — drop-in.
• Star Wars Day: May the Fourth be with you. Join librarians as they celebrate Star Wars Day at Terry Fox Library. Come in costume and take pictures on a planet far, far away using a greenscreen, make a craft or participate in our Star Wars-themed scavenger hunt. This event is set for Saturday, May 4, 1 to 4 p.m. — drop-in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.