A Juno-nominated musician and an arts hub — both based in the Tri-Cities — scored awards this week from B.C.’s Lieutenant Governor.
Bassist and educator Jodi Proznick, a Port Coquitlam resident, and Place des Arts in Coquitlam won the accolades tied to Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, marking her 70 years on the throne.
According to a news release on Tuesday (July 12), the arts and music awards recognize outstanding individuals, groups and organizations in B.C.
“We are so honoured and thrilled to be one of the 17 organizations across B.C. recognized for our leadership, creativity and community engagement," Place des Arts' Joan McCauley told the Tri-City News.
"This award is a testament to our highly committed, hard-working staff who identify community needs and collaborate with artists and local organizations to deliver programs and new initiatives to meet those needs. Our accomplishments truly reflect our organizational values of Community, Quality and Collaboration."
She added, "We thank the Honourable Janet Austin and look forward to continuing our goal to be more inclusive and to increase accessibility to, and engagement with, the arts.”
A jury made up of leaders in visual arts, music and performing arts selected the recipients, who will each receive a certificate and monetary gift.
Other recipients are:
- Alexandra Lainfiesta - Vancouver
- Amanda Shatzko - Vernon/North Okanagan (UBC)
- C.E. Gatchalian - Vancouver
- Don Alder - Vancouver
- Joelle Rabu - Nanaimo
- Timothy Vernon - Victoria
- Melany Nugent-Noble - Kelowna/Central Okanagan
- Ruby Singh - Vancouver
- Russell Wallace - Vancouver
- Valerie Sing Turner Vancouver
- Ballet Kelowna - Kelowna, Central Okanagan
- Belfry Theatre - Victoria
- Canadian Heritage Arts Society/Canadian College of Performing Arts - Victoria
- Creative Okanagan - Kelowna/Central Okanagan
- Dancers of Damelahamid - West Vancouver
- Firehall Arts Centre - Vancouver
- Gate House Theatre - Port McNeill/Mt. Waddington R.D
- Inclusive Services Program - Jewish Community Centre - Vancouver
- Indian Summer Arts Society - Vancouver
- Island Mountain Arts Collective - Wells/Cariboo Regional District
- Ptarmigan Arts Society Music - Pender Island/Capital Region
- Skeena Salmon Arts Festival Society - Terrace/Kitimat-Stikine RD
- The Reach Gallery Museum - Abbotsford/Fraser Valley
- Vancouver International Bhangra Celebration Society / 5X Festival - Vancouver
- Victoria Arts Council - Victoria
- Victoria Conservatory of Music - Victoria
More to come...