The cheapest gas available in Metro Vancouver: Port Coquitlam.
The Costco gas bar in the city remains the least expensive, as of this publication (May 27), at 209.9 per litre — same as it was earlier this week after it dropped nine cents from last Friday (May 20).
According to GasBuddy.com, after that threshold, the price goes up by at least seven cents to the next cheapest available fuel.
Stations across Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody are holding an average price of between 216.9 and 218.9 cents per litre across various stops.
You can find a list of the Tri-Cities' cheapest available gas below.
Port Coquitlam is also currently home to the most price for fuel in the Tri-Cities — 225.5 cents a litre at the Chevron station off Lougheed Highway.
Metro Vancouver gas prices surpassed $2 per litre in early March and have continued to stay above that threshold, with some fluctuations in between.
But prices are still predicted to be higher than anticipated for the summer, says GasBuddy.com.
Gasoline prices have been elevated since late February when oil spiked to around US$100 a barrel after Russia invaded Ukraine, and there's no sign of those crude prices coming back down any time soon.
As of midday today, the benchmark West Texas Intermediate crude price was hovering at over US$112 a barrel.
Year-over-year, retail gasoline prices in Canada are up 55 per cent, according to GasBuddy's website, and prices could continue to rise in the coming weeks as summer demand has the potential to send prices even higher and put pressure on already unstable markets.
The most affordable gas in the country can be found in Alberta, where prices at the pump are averaging $1.69 per litre, followed by Saskatchewan at $1.86 per litre.
Meanwhile, Farmington, B.C., is still home to the cheapest fuel available in our province.
The small district between Fort St. John and Dawson Creek is currently offering 187.9 cents per litre of gas at its Tempo station off Highway 97.
Tri-Cities' top 10 cheap fuel prices
The following prices are the best available in the Tri-Cities as of noon today:
- 209.9/L @ Costco gas bar (Port Coquitlam)
- 216.5/L @ Husky (2649 Lougheed Hwy., Port Coquitlam)
- 216.9/L @ Esso and 7-Eleven (103 Ioco Rd., Port Moody)
- 216.9/L @ Petro-Canada (829 Brunette Ave., Coquitlam)
- 216.9/L @ Shell (3051 Lougheed Hwy., Coquitlam)
- 216.9/L @ Esso (1130 Johnson St., Coquitlam)
- 216.9/L @ Chevron and On The Run (945 Brunette Ave., Coquitlam)
- 216.9/L @ Petro-Canada (1401 Johnson St., Coquitlam)
- 216.9/L @ Petro-Canada (1523 Prairie Ave., Port Coquitlam)
- 216.9/L @ Chevron (2525 Shaughnessy St., Coquitlam)
- with files from The Canadian Press