The family of Jason Botchford has revealed the Coquitlam father of three and hockey writer died of an accidental overdose.
The news comes as a GoFundMe page continues to raise funds to support the family.
In a statement posted to Twitter, Kathryn Botchford said a coroner’s report has officially confirmed that her husband’s death was caused by an accidental overdose of cocaine and fentanyl.
I am Jason Botchford’s father. His wife, Kathryn Botchford, has asked me to release this statement on behalf of her and our family.@katbotchford pic.twitter.com/jl6xw3x7eb— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) August 28, 2020
“We were completely shocked and in disbelief to discover the cause of Jason’s sudden death,” she writes. “The cause does not change who Jason was to all of us but just makes his death that much harder to comprehend. We are still grieving.”
As the children’s privacy remains a “principal concern,” there will be no further comment to the media.
When the death was reported last year, it was announced that the cause was heart failure.