It appears more local drivers are eager to get from point 'A' to point 'B' as summer continues.
However, some may have been a little too overzealous with the gas pedal recently.
In one shift on June 22, 2021, Coquitlam RCMP explains its traffic team issued a total of 104 violation tickets, most of which were for speeding in lower designated zone limits.
Const. Deanna Law tells Tri-City News officers were stationed in several neighbourhoods across Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam that day.
Though nothing unusual was dealt with during their shift, she explains Mounties caught drivers speeding in a playground zone, speeding in a construction zone and speeding in general areas.
“Coquitlam RCMP’s traffic teams will continue enforcement to ensure both Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam communities remain a safe place for all to travel in," Law adds.
According to ICBC, general speeding fines can range between $138 and $483. Speeding through a playground zone results in a $196 to $253 fine.
Law says other violations among the 104 tickets included:
- Failing to display a licence plate(s)
- A $230 fine, per ICBC
- Failing to obey a traffic control device
- A $121 fine, per ICBC
- Failing to display an 'N'
- A $109 fine, per ICBC
CHAT WITH MOUNTIES
If you're looking to talk to RCMP about possible speedsters in your neighbourhood, Coquitlam Mounties are scheduled to make appearances in public parks and spaces this summer as part of an outreach campaign.
According to a news release, the aim is to “engage with the community in a positive manner, answer questions, take photos and hand out stickers” to children.
“With the anticipation of COVID-19 restrictions easing over the summer months, the Coquitlam RCMP is looking forward to interacting more with the public in both communities,” Law stated in a statement on Monday (July 5).
Local police will be at the following locations:
- Victoria Park (3435 Victoria Dr., Coquitlam) = July 15
- Gates Park (2300 Reeve St., PoCo) = July 22
- Blue Mountain Park (975 King Albert Ave., Coquitlam) = July 29
- Coquitlam Central SkyTrain station (Lougheed and Barnet highways) = Aug. 5
- Veterans Park (2580 Shaughnessy St., PoCo) = Aug. 12
- Town Centre Park (1299 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam) = Aug. 19
- Spirit Square (3000 Burlington Dr., Coquitlam) = Aug. 26
- Coquitlam Centre mall (2929 Barnet Hwy., Coquitlam) = Sept. 2