Skip to content

#CQCompStat: Theft from vehicles the subject of two hotspot areas for Coquitlam RCMP

Police are amping up patrols near Mackin Park and around Port Coquitlam's rail yard after string of property theft and break and enters.
Person stealing a purse out of a vehicle with the window down. | File photo

December has arrived and that's likely to itch more Tri-City residents to start early holiday shopping at local businesses and malls.

However, leaving a bag or package in a vehicle — and in plain view — may attract potential Grinches to break in and steal.

In the case of the Coquitlam RCMP, the detachment has noticed more than 40 incidents of property theft from vehicles across its jurisdiction with a pair of hot-spot neighbourhoods to be the main focus for the next two weeks.

This includes streets surrounding Mackin Park and just north of Port Coquitlam's railyard of Lougheed Highway — east of the Coquitlam River.

Police are also canvassing these areas due to more reports of business break-and-enters and vehicle thefts.

More specifically:


  • From Blue Mountain Street in the west to Schoolhouse Street in the east
  • From Cartier Avenue in the north to Lougheed Highway in the south


  • From Chester Street in the west to Coast Meridian Road in the east
  • From Salisbury Avenue in the north to Lougheed Highway in the south

Coquitlam Mounties are encouraging residents and businesses to take all precautionary steps necessary to protect personal property.

This includes:

  • Locking doors and closing windows
  • Parking in well-lit/well-populated areas where "natural surveillance" can serve as a deterrent
  • Closing garage doors at night
  • Taking your garage opener, house and/or business keys and vehicle registration papers out of your vehicle when it’s parked (if thieves steal these items, they could use them to commit other crimes including identity theft and break-and-enter)

Anyone who witnesses theft in progress or suspicious activity is encouraged to call Coquitlam RCMP at 604-945-1550, or call 911.