On Sept. 20, local residents will be voting for a member of parliament in the Port Moody-Coquitlam riding for the 2021 federal election.
Each week leading up to decision day, the Tri-City News will publish answers to topical questions from those vying for a seat in the House of Commons.
Responses from candidates are listed in alphabetical order.
- Are you double-vaccinated against COVID-19, and do you think it should be a requirement for workplaces?
Will Davis — Liberal
- Yes, I am double-vaccinated. The Liberal government requires all federal public servants [to] be vaccinated, as well as those at Crown corporations and federally regulated businesses. Protecting people is the number-one job of the government, and we will continue to do everything we can to encourage everyone to get vaccinated.
Desta McPherson — People's Party of Canada
- As of this publication (Sept. 1), McPherson has yet to respond to our question. We will update this article when information becomes available.
Nelly Shin — Conservative (incumbent)
- I am vaccinated and I believe that vaccines are a safe and effective tool to stop the spread of COVID-19. Canadians have the right to make their own health choices, but rapid testing is needed for the unvaccinated to protect our most vulnerable Canadians.
Bonita Zarrillo — NDP
- The pandemic has been hard on Canadians, and people are worried about the fourth wave. We believe the best way to protect everyone is to vaccinate everyone. I've been double vaccinated and support the new provincial COVID-19 guidelines.