Coquitlam city councillors — and dozens of residents — will have new committee roles at city hall in 2022.
The appointments that are set to be OK’d at tonight’s council meeting will take effect in the civic election year.
• Economic Development will be led by Coun. Trish Mandewo, with Coun. Steve Kim as vice chair.
Also named are Leslie Courchesne (Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce); Catherine Williams (Douglas College); Paul Carter; Paul Choi; Matthew Sebastiani; Mohammad Darwish; Marko Dekovic; Emma Friess; Alice Hale; Lilian Kan; JJ Lee; Marcelo Machado; and Zorica Andjelic
• Multiculturalism will be headed up by Coun. Brent Asmundson, with Coun. Steve Kim as vice chair.
Also named are Simin Ahmadian, Michelle Taylor, Caroline Echeverri, Pam Garcia, Honore Gbedze, Anne Johannes, Bita Rezaei, Amandeep Sangha, Iris Sun, Njeri Watkins and Zahra Zaker
• Universal access-ability will be guided by Coun. Steve Kim, with Coun. Teri Towner as vice chair.
Also named are Iris Thompson (Canadian Council for the Blind); Pete Stone (Community Ventures); Ross Renaud (SHARE); Susan Williamson (Tri-Cities Seniors Action); Robert Bottos; Allyson Boyd; Kiyo Breiting; Alex Kwan; Heather Lawson; Georgette Reyes; and Barbara Oliver
• Sports and recreation will be led by Coun. Chris Wilson, with Coun. Craig Hodge as vice chair.
Also named are David Jones (Coquitlam Field Sport Association); Andrea Mattinson (Sports Centre Users Group); Carla Byers (Coquitlam Tennis Club); Erin Davidson; Jess Doyle, Paul Lambert; Stephen Lisik; William Truong; Shelly Scott; Cydney Smythies; and Carl Trepanier
• Culture services will be headed up by Coun. Dennis Marsden, with Coun. Trish Mandewo as vice chair.
Also named are Barbara Winter (Coquitlam Heritage); Todd Gnissios (Coquitlam Public Library); Philip Hartwick (Evergreen Cultural Centre); Jackie Weinkam (Festival Planners Network); Joan McCauley (Place des Arts); Will Davis; Marie Del Cid-Luque; Kim Hockey; Megan Leslie; Janice Mazon; Philip Mulder; and Kathleen Lagunsad Campbell
• Sustainability and environment will be guided by Coun. Teri Towner, with Coun. Brent Asmundson as vice chair.
Also named are Tracy Adole, Reza Berry, Mark Ashton, Jay Ashworth, Grayson Barke, Linton Chokie, Christine Coles, Mohammad Darabi, Edward Lau, Richard Kenny and Bonnie Razzaghi
• Coquitlam Public Library board will have council representation from Coun. Dennis Marsden, as well as from the community: Julie Fisher, Monica Heir, Jacqueline Gorton, Barbara Lu, Natasha Knox, Steve Ho Ming Leung, Kimberly Sivak and Dave Whelan
As well, council is set to confirm the following council appointments to these agencies or external organizations:
- NEW: Community Safety Advisory Committee: Coun. Craig Hodge (chair), Coun. Teri Towner (vice chair)
- Coquitlam River Watershed Roundtable: Coun. Steve Kim, Coun. Chris Wilson (alternate)
- Fraser Health Municipal Government Advisory Council: Coun. Dennis Marsden, Coun. Trish Mandewo (alternate)
- Joint Policing Committee: Mayor Richard Stewart, councillors Brent Asmundson and Craig Hodge
- SD43 Mental Health Task Force: Coun. Teri Towner, Coun. Trish Mandewo (alternate)
- Tri-Cities Food Security Table: Coun. Steve Kim, Coun. Chris Wilson (alternate)
- Tri-Cities Homelessness and Housing Task Group: Coun. Chris Wilson, Coun. Teri Towner (alternate)
Meanwhile, Coquitlam Mayor Richard Stewart and Coun. Craig Hodge will return to the Metro Vancouver board of directors in the new year to represent the city’s interests.
The regional re-appointments were unanimously approved at the Nov. 22 council meeting, along with councillors Trish Mandewo and Brent Asmundson as their alternates.
Stewart carries four votes, while Hodge has three votes on the board that includes officials from 21 member municipalities, an electoral area and a Treaty First Nation.
As for Coquitlam’s acting mayor’s schedule for next year, which also involves a civic election on Oct. 15, 2022, it will be as follows:
- Jan. 1 to Feb. 14: Coun. Craig Hodge
- Feb. 15 to March 31: Coun. Brent Asmundson
- April 1 to May 14: Coun. Chris Wilson
- May 15 to June 27: Coun. Teri Towner
- June 28 to Aug. 10: Coun. Trish Mandewo
- Aug. 11 to Sept. 23: Coun. Steve Kim
- Sept. 24 to Nov. 7: Coun. Dennis Marsden