Skip to content

Manslaughter charge laid in Coquitlam man's stabbing death

Henry Garcia Molina died in Whistler in August 2021, and a 22-year-old has since been arrested and charged for alleged involvement.

Investigators have made an arrest in the stabbing death of a Coquitlam man in Whistler more than 10 months ago.

Dedaar Jhooty was arrested Wednesday (June 22) and charged with manslaughter today (June 23) for his alleged involvement in Henry Garcia Molina's death on Aug. 14, 2021.

The 26-year-old man died of, what were believed to be, "multiple," stab wounds after 2 a.m. early that morning as RCMP and paramedics arrived on scene following reports of an alleged altercation in front of the Bearfoot Bistro entrance in the Listel Hotel.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) took lead on the case and conducted a sweep of Whistler Village to speak with witnesses.

In an earlier release, IHIT said officers identified "several persons of interest" and others that were potentially involved in Molina's murder.

Today (June 23), Jhooty was approved of one charge by the BC Prosecution Service.

IHIT arrested the 22-year-old man, who was taken into custody with help from the B.C. RCMP E Division major crime's integrated surveillance team, as well as Mounties in Richmond and Surrey.

"Henry Garcia Molina's death was a shock to his family and the Whistler community," said IHIT spokesperson Sgt. David Lee in a release. 

"We hope that this arrest provides some closure and solace to his family."

Days after Garcia Molina's death, friends created a crowdfunding campaign that has since brought in nearly $34,000 to support his family.

In his statement on the GoFundMe page, organizer Kevin Pineda Romero said Garcia Molina was "like a brother" to him since they were six.

"Henry was one of my best friends. My goal is to do everything I can to support his family with funeral costs and anything they may need while mourning his loss."

Pineda Romero added Garcia Molina had built friendships playing volleyball in Coquitlam and his "cheerful personality" was infectious to those he met.

According to Garcia Molina's Facebook page, he went to Dr. Charles Best Secondary and studied at Douglas College. 

"Henry’s loss has been the most painful thing that any parent has had to go through," his family said in a public statement.

"Henry left a positive impact on everyone he has ever met, including all his family members, his friends from school and various sports teams he was a part of. Henry was very involved with the community and admired by many. He was a kind hearted young man who was always willing to help others."

- with a file from Brandon Barrett, Pique Newsmagazine