It's a rubber match.
A B.C. specialized recycling non-profit is set to give Port Coquitlam's James Park Elementary a major upgrade — from used car and truck tires.
The rubber off a total of 602 recycled tires will be used to create a new multi-use surface on the School District 43 (SD43) institution's playground, which is set to make the site more wheelchair accessible.
The project is set to be complete some time during the 2022–23 school calendar year, says Tire Stewardship BC (TSBC) who is awarding SD43 with a community grant worth $13,376 to install the path.
Rosemary Sutton, TSBC executive director, says rubber is a durable, non-toxic and cost-effective material for playground surfaces.
"Rubber surfacing made from B.C. scrap tires is also non-slip, making it safer for everyone, and it creates a soft landing in playground areas," she said in a statement to the Tri-City News.
"TSBC will continue to look for opportunities to partner with businesses that are making environmentally conscientious decisions and understand the importance of utilizing recycled products in the development of their community infrastructure."
As well, the TSBC believes the local playground also become more "visually attractive" for all to use it.
The 602 wheels being used for James Park Elementary's new playground path are coming from a pile of nearly 15,000 scrap tires to create rubberized surfacing for 13 projects across the province.
Where to recycle tires in the Tri-Cities
TSBC took on the responsibility of overseeing tire recycling in B.C. since 2003, and is considered the oldest recycling program in Canada.
The society says more than 100 million car and truck tires have been recycled in communities across the province since 1991.
Here are the Tri-City locations associated with TSBC where you can recycle old tires (in alphabetical order):
- A & J Motorsport Ltd. (685 Lougheed Hwy.)
- Austin Automotive (1300 Austin Ave.)
- Big O Tires (1014 Westwood St.)
- Budget Brake & Muffler (2561 Barnet Hwy.)
- Canadian Tire (1200 Seguin Dr.)
- Coquitlam Chrysler (2960 Christmas Way)
- D.J. Automotive (1006 Westwood St.)
- Fountain Tire (2764 Barnet Hwy.)
- Ian's Auto and Repairs (2760 Aberdeen Ave.)
- Ivers Custom Cycles Ltd. (2710 Barnet Hwy.)
- Kal Tire
- Minit Tune and Brake (335B North Rd.)
- OK Tire Store (#101 - 641 Lougheed Hwy.)
- Volco Tires and Wheels (1300 Lougheed Hwy.)
- Yanko Tire and Automotive (2724 Barnet Hwy.)
- Canadian Tire (2125 Hawkins St.)
- Cap-It Coquitlam Genuine Truckware (#110 - 1750 Coast Meridian Rd.)
- Costco Wholesale (2370 Ottawa St.)
- Gameday Automotive and Tires (1740 Broadway St.)
- Jim Pattison Hyundai (2385 Ottawa St.)
- OK Tire Store (945 Cambridge St.)
- Pitt River Auto Services Ltd. (#1 - 1971 McLean Ave.)
- R&L Auto And Perform. Corp. (#14 - 1833 Coast Meridian Rd.)
- Tire Craft (1600 Kingsway Ave.)
- Westwood Tire Service (980 Westwood St.)