Port Coquitlam residents who need a little motivation to start their spring cleaning should circle Saturday, April 22 on their calendars.
That's when the 14th annual city-wide garage sale takes place to help everyone get rid of their unwanted items for cash — while also keeping unused household goods from ending up in the landfill.
Held to coincide with Earth Week and being held on Earth Day, the community garage sale is part of the city’s ongoing efforts to reduce waste.
Last year, more than 150 households signed up.
Multi-family residents can take part, too
To participate, Port Coquitlam residents who plan a garage sale at their home on April 22 from at least 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. should register online by April 9 at portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale.
Additionally, there will be space in the parking lot at Gates Park on Reeve Street — between Atkins Avenue and Kelly Avenue — for PoCo residents living in a multi-residential building to sell their items.
But space is limited, so residents are required to sign up in advance.
As well, residents who sign up for this space are responsible for their own belongings, set up, take down and clean up.
Participants who sign up by the April 9 deadline will get free advertising for their sale including publication on the garage sale webpage at portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale.
All participants will be responsible for packing up any unsold items. The city will not be picking up unsold items, and instead asks participants to use the city’s large item pick-up program at portcoquitlam.ca/largeitem or donate leftover items to charity.
Signs are also available to advertise your participation: download a sign at portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale.
Tips for hosting a garage sale:
- Have change for guests
- Encourage neighbours to host garage sales at the same time
- Price items in advance to maximize sales opportunities if many visitors arrive at once. Garage sale pricing usually starts at about one-third of the item value when new
- Recruit sale helpers for extra security and assistance
- Have clean bags, newspapers and boxes on hand for carrying away purchases
Tips for garage sale shoppers:
If you’re an early bird, respect the host’s decision to begin the sale at the posted time.
- Bring small bills and change for small purchases
- Drive carefully on neighbourhood streets and watch for pedestrians and animals
- Don’t trample gardens, block driveways or double park
Visit the website portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale for more tips for garage sale hosts and shoppers, as well as recycling and re-use information, large item pick-up and addresses of registered garage sales.