The owner of a Port Coquitlam business is set to face city council next month about alleged safety violations.
Wim Vander Zalm of Art Knapp is expected to respond to ongoing concerns at a Section 57 hearing that examines construction without permits.
The hearing comes after the city this week forced the closure of the Dominion Avenue retailer’s holiday train amusement park until BC Fire Code and Building Code infractions are addressed; city staff told Art Knapp it would suspend its business licence if it continued to operate without a special event permit.
“Our intention is not to damper the holiday spirit by closing a popular holiday-time attraction for the community but top priority is and must be public safety,” Pardeep Purewal, PoCo’s communications manager, said Tuesday in an email to The Tri-City News.
Previously, in late September, the city forced the closure of another holiday draw at Art Knapp: Funland.
That reopened in early October after the provincial fire commissioner revoked the city’s order and ruled the building — owned by Shiloh Nurseries — is safe, Art Knapp wrote in an Instagram post this week to its 5,200 followers.
It added: “We are very sorry that we will not be able to hold our annual Storytime with Mrs. Claus this year but do not want to risk losing our business license. We want to reassure everyone that the Art Knapps the community has come to know and love is committed to safety and will continue to try and work with the city.”
Vander Zalm was not available for comment before The Tri-City News’ print deadline Thursday.
The Section 57 hearing will be held during the Dec. 11 city council meeting.