Playground improvements and field upgrades are just some of the projects that will be funded by Port Coquitlam taxpayers in 2011 as part of the city's self-help matching grant program.
The program is designed to encourage projects that benefit the community, offering up to $10,000 in matching funds for any organization that has its application approved.
According to a staff report, Mary Hill is expected to receive $5,000 and the Societe d'Education Gareau Parent Association Council would get $6,000 for playground improvements.
Another $6,000 is expected to be given to the Port Coquitlam Kinsmen Club for a roof replacement and a $3,000 grant will go to the PoCo FC Soccer Association for a spectator cover at the turf field at Gates Park.
Not all grant program applicants were successful. The New View Society requested funds to build a commercial kitchen within its new facility, currently under construction. The kitchen, according to a city staff report, would be used to provide meals to clients and residents and could be used for vocational training. But city staff said because the project was not located on public property, the society was not eligible for a matching grant. The report also found that the kitchen would be built regardless of whether a grant was approved.
PoCo's self-help matching grant program has been offered to the community for eight years and has funded numerous projects in the community.
An approved applicant receives 75% of the grant at the beginning of the project, with the other 25% being disbursed upon completion.
Applicants must be from Port Coquitlam and grant application packages can be submitted until the end of March each year.
For more information about the matching grant program, call 604-927-7900, email email@example.com or visit www.portcoquitlam.ca.