Seniors in Port Coquitlam have been kept active, connected and entertained thanks to social events hosted by a local organization that's still going strong after three decades.
Now, the Wilson Centre Seniors' Advisory Association (WCSAA) will soon be celebrating it 30th year with a full slate of events between September and June 2023 thanks to a recent federal grant.
On Aug. 22, the group was awarded $24,650 to help host "A Series of Fortunate Events," which is set to get seniors involved with workshops, sessions and activities that "promote healthy ageing, participation, inclusion and preventing abuse."
The money is coming from the Canadian government's New Horizons for Seniors program, aimed to help older residents thrive and engage with their own communities.
The WCSAA's upcoming events are also supported by the City of Port Coquitlam, reads a statement sent to the Tri-City News.
The group says all PoCo seniors are invited to attend one or all is its social events. Registration is required, the WCSAA explains, and are either low cost or free to attend.
For more information, you can visit the organization's page on the city's website or call the city at 604-927-7529.
Its schedule for the 2022-23 calendar year is as follows:
- Sept. 13 and 27 = Kathleen Nadalin, ICBC road safety and community coordinator for the Tri-Cities, will explain the rules are about keeping your driver’s licence after the age of 80, and other issues older drivers face
- Sept. 22 = The WCSAA will host a 50s diner-themed birthday party for those born in August, September and October. Barry Wilson will perform
- Sept. 29 = Bus excursion of the year will visit the Bloedel Conservatory and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Garden
- Oct. 6 = The WCSAA will host its Thanksgiving social
- Oct. 11 and 25 = A representative from the Senior Services Society of BC, will discuss Senior Housing Options
- Oct. 20 = Bus excursion will visit the Museum of Anthropology and UBC Botanical Gardens
- Nov. 8 and 22 = SHARE family services will share information about the Better at Home program other services they offer for seniors
- Nov. 10 = The WCSAA will host a Veteran’s lunch
- Nov. 23 = Seniors will head north on an excursion along the famous and very scenic Sea to Sky Highway to the Britannia Mine Museum
- Nov. 24 = Classic Rewind will play in celebrating those born in November, December and January with a hippies and beatniks birthday party theme
- Dec. 5 = Bus excursion to Burnaby Heritage Village
- Dec. 6 = A representative from the RCMP will lead a discussion on frauds targeting seniors, keeping seniors safe at home and on the road
- Dec. 15 = The WCSAA will host a Christmas lunch
- Jan. 25, 2023 = Bus excursion to the Vancouver Aquarium and Stanley Park
- Feb. 16, 2023 = Valentine's Day with Family Variations playing and a theme of perfect pairs, i.e.) Salt and Pepper, Romeo and Juliet, etc.
- Feb. 23, 2023 = Bus excursion to Science World
- April 20, 2023 = The WCSAA will host a social that celebrates those born in March and April with a Spring Fling theme
- June 22, 2023 = Birthday party for those born in May and June with a cruise ship theme