Port Moody's candidate list has been finalized for the 2022 municipal election — set for Oct. 15.
The deadline for interested residents to throw their hat in the ring for mayor, council or school trustee was 4 p.m. today (Sept. 9).
There are two people running for mayor, 14 for a councillor's seat and four for School District 43's (SD43) board of education.
For Port Moody, there are seven spots on council, including mayor, and two trustee positions.
The candidates are as follows (in alphabetical order):
- Meghan Lahti
- Steve Milani
- Samantha Agtarap
- Richard Biedka
- Dustin Chelen
- Johann Contreras
- Eric Davis
- Diana Dilworth (incumbent)
- Barbara Junker
- Kyla Knowles
- Amy Lubik (incumbent)
- Haven Lurbiecki
- Hunter Madsen (incumbent)
- Callan Morrison
- Dawn Slykhuis
- David Stuart
- Ed Desaulniers
- Nancy Johnston
- Lisa Park (incumbent)
- Zoe Royer
And with campaigning is set to begin, local residents will soon have the opportunity to hear from the nominees.
The Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce (TCCC) is set to host a Port Moody all-candidates debate on Sept. 28, 6:30 p.m. at the Inlet Theatre (100 Newport Dr.).
If you're eligible to vote in the 2022 local election, you have three options to ways to vote:
- Mail ballot – eligible voters must fill out an online application form or apply in-person at their respective city halls to receive a mail ballot, and completed mail ballots must be received by the Chief Election Officer before Oct. 15.
- Advance polls – Various locations depending on community
- General Voting Day – Polls will be open on Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at various location
If you wish to seek a nomination for a civic position, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older on election day (Oct. 15)
- Be a B.C. resident for at least six months immediately before the day you file your nomination papers
- Must not be disqualified by the Local Government Act from voting in a B.C. election or from being nominated for, being elected to, or holding office
For more information, you can visit the City of Port Moody's website.