An investigation says RCMP actions did not lead to a Port Coquitlam crash earlier this month that left a teen motorcyclist with serious, but non-life threatening injuries.
Mounties have been cleared by the Independent Investigations Office of BC (IIO), citing there was no wrongdoing or unlawful actions by police while they attempted to conduct a traffic stop on March 3.
Before 11 a.m., a youth was seen allegedly using a cell phone while operating a motorcycle heading north on Shaughnessy Street.
RCMP were conducting traffic enforcement in the area and did a U-turn in an effort to try and pull them over.
According to IIO's report, police vehicle data shows the motorcyclist did not stop and the officer turned off their emergency equipment as a result.
"WatchGuard video and statements from independent witnesses confirm police began to follow with lights and sirens activated," B.C.'s police watchdog explains in a release today (March 30).
"There were sufficient grounds to conduct a stop, and the length of the stop attempt was also appropriately brief before actions to discontinue are evident in the objective evidence."
However, "at nearly the same time," a collision took place involving the motorcycle and another vehicle near the intersection of Shaughnessy Street and Prairie Avenue.
Paramedics took to the teen to hospital to be treated for their injuries.
The driver of the vehicle was not seriously injured.
The IIO stepped in to determine if police actions caused the incident — directly or indirectly — and has since concluded after sifting through evidence.
In an earlier statement, Coquitlam RCMP said it was conducting its own investigation and no update as been provided as of this publication.