A Dufferin Care Centre resident has died due to complications with COVID-19 among the Coquitlam facility's latest outbreak.
Fraser Health confirmed the death to the Tri-City News this afternoon (Nov. 25).
As well, the lab-confirmed case count has gone up to 21, including 19 residents and two staff members, that have been detected since the outbreak was formally declared on Nov. 10.
The recent death raises the pandemic toll to seven residents from the retirement community from the three outbreaks that have taken place since spring 2020.
Four were during the first outbreak among 24 total infections when it was declared over in May 2020 — which remains the largest outbreak of the virus across the Tri-Cities to date.
The second outbreak ended in April 2021, but resulted in the deaths of two residents and 16 total cases of COVID-19.
In an earlier statement to the Tri-City News, Fraser Health says 98 per cent of Dufferin Care Centre residents have been jabbed with a third vaccine against the virus.
As of this publication (Nov. 25), the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) reports an 89.6 per cent double-vaccination average against COVID-19 among eligible Tri-City residents aged 50 and older.
The same age group is currently at a 91.6 per cent single-dose average.
In terms of third doses, 36 per cent of eligible residents 70 years and older have received a booster jab.
Fraser Health says it's implementing enhanced control measures at Dufferin Care Centre, which is also set to help find anyone else who may have been exposed, including residents, staff and extended family members.
The health measures are as follows:
- Staffing levels are being supported to maintain resident care
- Social visits are restricted in the affected areas of the facility
- Fraser Health says essential visits can continue
- Staff and residents movement in the affected areas of the facility has been modified to minimize exposure to others
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been further enhanced
- Residents, families and staff are being notified
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents is taking place
- Additional testing and screening is in place to support monitoring of disease control
Dufferin Care Centre is a Coquitlam long-term facility owned and operated by Retirement Concepts.