One of Coquitlam's newest Asian fusion restaurants had to temporarily shut its doors Wednesday night (June 1) after a smoky fire started in the interior walls.
Coquitlam fire and emergency crews were called to Nubo Grill and Tapas, located at 102-100 Schoolhouse St. just after 7 p.m.
They arrived to find a small, smoky fire contained to the walls, which had to be opened up to provide access to crews, said fire chief Jim Ogloff.
He said it took less than two hours to completely put out the fire, however, there will be some interior damage as a result.
"It will be closed for awhile for repairs," said Ogloff.
There were no flames and the fire was mostly smoke, he said, and likely caused by an electrical malfunction.
It was not a cooking fire, he noted.
Calls to the restaurant went unanswered and there is no update on Nubo's Facebook page about the fire or its consequences.
Nubo is located in a restaurant that was formerly Kefi Greek Kouzina.
Its menu features Asian fusion in tapas form, as well as a variety of firewood grilled meats,
According to its website, Nubo Grill and Tapas is part of a group of restaurants, that includes Nubo Premium Meal Kit, Nubo Japanese Tapas, Nubo Kitchen and Bar, E:Ne and Cube Food Box.
This is the second restaurant to close to repair damage after a fire. Port Moody’s Boathouse restaurant is closed for the next several weeks after a kitchen fire early last Thursday (May 26).
- with files from Mario Bartel,Tri-City News