Coquitlam RCMP has identified a suspect linked to seven alleged sexual assaults that have occurred in Glen Park over the last few months.
Mounties said in a statement Thursday that plainclothes officers identified a person not known police and that safety protocols have been put in place to ensure that Glen Park is safe.
"There are extenuating circumstances involving this suspect that may have played a role in these alleged assaults," RCMP Cpl. Michael McLaughlin said in a press release. "Due to privacy concerns, we cannot go into detail about the suspect's circumstances."
The release also noted that the Coquitlam RCMP Sex Crimes Unit, the BC Prosecution Service and several community partners are currently trying to determine the best course of action.
Seven alleged incidents have occurred in the park since November, each involving a single suspect touching or slapping female victims before running away. The cases prompted a warning from police earlier this week advising women to stay out the area.
McLaughlin also addressed concerns raised on social media by posters insinuating they would take matters into their own hands.
"We have some people who have publicly expressed a desire to see physical harm come to the suspect," he said. "We have also seen people leaping to conclusions about the motive. Those conclusions are being drawn without all the facts."
He later added: "It certainly wouldn't be appropriate at all for people to go out and use physical force" against the suspect.