Gas prices are still dropping as summer rolls on in the Tri-Cities.
Today (Aug. 12), the cheapest fuel is at Port Coquitlam's Costco (2370 Ottawa St.) is offering 179.9 cents per litre at its station, which is one of the lowest in all of Metro Vancouver as well.
That's a two-cent dip at the warehouse outlet compared to last Friday (Aug. 5).
And everywhere else, the prices appear to have dropped by as much as four cents ahead of the weekend, according to GasBuddy.com.
Nine of the top 10 gas prices at Tri-Cities stops are currently sitting at 182.9 cents a litre — at least one in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody — and that itself is a monthly drop of 10 cents compared to early July.
You can find a list of the cheapest fuel available below.
That's in line with what most of Metro Vancouver is experiencing as well.
However, the best deals are across the across the border in Blaine, Wash., where gas was priced at US$4.73 per U.S. gallon, which works out to about C$1.65 per litre.
So, can local drivers expect more relief or a return to that so-called ‘pain at the pump’ in the coming months?
"I don't have a crystal ball on my desk, but I do have a globe on it, and what matters the most is the state of the global economy," Werner Antweiler, UBC Sauder School of Business professor, told Glacier Media.
"Motorists need to be prepared for a significant level of volatility."
What drove prices to their peak this year was the war in Ukraine and disrupted supply chains, said Antweiler.
What's driving prices down, said Antweiler, is curtailing demand due to inflating household costs and increased crude outputs and lower crude prices.
Antweiler said B.C. gas prices are "well integrated" with global factors.
Ultimately, few local factors impact gas prices in B.C., he said, although he noted taxes and extended supply chain, say compared to Alberta, are marginal factors.
Meanwhile, the most expensive fuel in the Tri-Cities is 196.9 cents a litre at a couple of locations in Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam.
If you're looking to top off your tank with the cheapest fuel in B.C., you'll be making a trip to Vancouver Island.
Courtenay's Costco (588 Crown Isle Blvd.) is offering 172.9 cents per litre.
Tri-Cities' top 10 cheap fuel prices
The following prices are the best available in the Tri-Cities as of 11 a.m. today:
- 179.9/L @ Costco gas bar (Port Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Petro-Canada (1401 Johnson St., Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Esso (1130 Johnson St., Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Chevron and On The Run (1695 Como Lake Ave., Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Esso and 7-Eleven (103 Ioco Rd., Port Moody)
- 182.9/L @ Petro-Canada (829 Brunette Ave., Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Shell (3051 Lougheed Hwy., Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Esso and Smart Shop 24/7 (2090 Lougheed Hwy., Port Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Petro-Canada (176 Golden Dr., Coquitlam)
- 182.9/L @ Shell (2315 Pitt River Rd., Port Coquitlam)
- with files from Graeme Wood, Glacier Media