Skip to content

Why this Coquitlam column — other B.C. landmarks — will soon turn purple

Several events around the Tri-Cities will help raise awareness for ALS throughout June, supporting the hundreds of B.C. residents battling the disease.
Coquitlam city hall at Guildford and Pinetree ways includes a light column, lit up specific colours for special occasions or to recognize unique community campaigns.

Coquitlam is joining the cause to raise awareness on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) — aka Lou Gehrig's disease.

Those who normally frequent the City Centre core will soon notice the light column outside city hall (3000 Guildford Way) turn purple, which is the primary colour for ALS campaigns and organizations.

It's part of the month-long B.C. initiative and June proclamation to recognize the roughly 400 people in the province diagnosed with ALS; nearly 3,000 across Canada.

The popular column at the intersection of Guildford and Pinetree ways will illuminate purple on Friday night (June 2), alongside nine other landmarks that include the Victoria legislature, BC Place and Science World.

In a news release, the ALS Society of BC explained the disease is "rapidly progressive" and attacks transmitting motor neurons from the brain to the voluntary muscles in the body.

"When they fail to receive messages, the muscles lose strength, atrophy, and die," the non-profit added. 

"ALS can strike anyone at any time, regardless of age, gender, or ethnic origin. It does not affect the senses, and only rarely does it affect the mind."

Walk, run, board for ALS

The Tri-Cities Move to Cure ALS will be in Pitt Meadows this year.

It'll be at Waterfront Commons Park in Osprey Village on Sunday (June 4) at 10 a.m., and interested residents are asked to register ahead of the fundraiser.

Organizers of the local walk are looking to raise $14,000 for the ALS Society of BC. Nearly $7,000 has been collected as of this publication (May 30).

From the donation total, 60 per cent will be earmarked for supporting patient services programs and the remaining 40 per cent for research.

For more information, or to donate to the cause, you can visit the Move to Cure ALS website.

Hitting the course

As well, a group of golfers are set to play from dawn until dusk on June 26 at the Vancouver Golf Club in Coquitlam (771 Austin Ave.).

PGA and VGC professionals Mike Grabowski, Jaegan Patron, Jordan Rourke, Shania Remandaban, Sean Thompson and Rachel Wiebe are participating in the Golf-a-Thon for ALS.

Last year, more than $11,000 was raised from the 10th local event that saw VGC pros get in four full rounds before nightfall.

Pledges came from family, friends and the community.

The Coquitlam golfers are looking to go above and beyond the 2022 total to $12,500, and you can visit the Golf-a-Thon fundraiser's website.