Chinese New Year meals not only have symbolic meanings — they’re also designed to bring in good fortune.
Here are some traditional dishes that are served for reunions, as well as what they represent or resemble:
- Spring rolls = gold bars
- Noodles = longevity
- Dumplings = richness
- Sweet rice balls = unity
- Whole fish = abundance
- Citrus fruits = happiness
- Nian gao cake = health
- Eight treasure rice = sweetness
- Prosperity cake = luck
WHERE TO EAT IN COQUITLAM
Here are some of the restaurants celebrating Lunar New Year.
The directory is courtesy of Visit Coquitlam (in no particular order):
- HQ Chinese Skillet, 204-403 North Rd.
- Zhou’s Chinese Restaurant, 130-1960 Como Lake Ave.
- Xiang Yuan Qiao Yun Nan Cross Bridge Rice Noodle Chinese Restaurant, 112-3030 Lincoln Ave.
- Tong’s Chinese Gourmet House, 2080-1163 Pinetree Way
- Mei Le Bakery & Chinese Restaurant, 112-100 Schoolhouse St.
- Lucky Gate Chinese Restaurant, 2-1139 Austin Ave.
- King Wuu Chinese Food Store, 1135-1163 Pinetree Way
- Jujube Chinese Restaurant, B-501 North Rd.
- Jasmine Club Chinese Restaurant, 101-1001 Austin Ave.
- Ham Ji Bak Korean-Chinese Fusion, 119-2918 Glen Dr.
- Hee Rae Deung Korean-Chinese Restaurant, 24-425 North Rd.
- Geum Hong Chinese Cuisine, 119-2918 Glen Dr.
- Bbong Korean-Chinese Restaurant, 260-329 North Rd.
- Gold Flower Castle - Kum Hwa Ru Korean Restaurant, 1163 Pinetree Way
- Tiki-Ming, Coquitlam Centre mall, 2628-2929 Barnet Hwy.
- The Walee Bistro, Henderson Centre mall, 2092-1163 Pinetree Way
- Sun Star Restaurant, 631 Lougheed Hwy.
- North Garden Café Restaurant, 411-552 Clarke Rd.
- General R, 2106-1163 Pinetree Way
- Me and Crepe, 2-555 Clarke Rd.
- Kam Ding Seafood Restaurant, 3021 Anson Ave.
- J’s Wok Restaurant, C-1052 Austin Ave.
- Chuan Yan Gourmet Food, 2102-1163 Pinetree Way
- Grand Seasons Restaurant, 6-555 Clarke Rd.
- Deer Garden Restaurant, 1045-1163 Pinetree Way
- Copa Café, 300-1175 Johnson St.
- M Café, 2773 Barnet Hwy.
- Woking Dragon China Bistro, 101-1196 Lansdowne Dr.
- Hon’s Wun-Tun House, 310-3025 Lougheed Hwy.
- Hard Rock Casino Vancouver, 2080 United Blvd.
- Grand Palace Restaurant, Henderson Centre, 2001-1163 Pinetree Way
At each establishment, you're encouraged to call for a reservation in advance.
For a list of other Asian cuisines in the city, you can go to Visit Coquitlam's website.