Coquitlam's annual bargain hunt of slightly used or good condition household items is set for later this month.
Registration is now open as of 9 a.m. (May 9) to local homeowners for the 2023 city-wide garage sale, scheduled for the final weekend of May.
The goal is to minimize waste and maximize reuse, recycling and material recovery, as well as "discourage illegal dumping and littering," said Coquitlam environment manager Caresse Selk.
"The event is a great opportunity to sell or give away household items in good condition, while contributing to environmental sustainability and community waste-reduction efforts," she added in a news release.
"Since 2014, the successful event has seen a consistent number of registered households every year with over 1,200 registered participants in total."
New this year, Selk said, is a giveaway component.
Coquitlam hopes this additional title can encourage property owners to sell and give unwanted household items that are still usable for others and prevent them from reaching the landfill.
Interested residents can sign up their residence for one or both dates via the City of Coquitlam's website. The deadline to register is 4 p.m. on May 26.
On the page, homeowners can indicate whether they are selling or giving away belongings, and select categories of the items available.
- Books and toys
- Household decoration and furniture
- Lawn and garden tools
- Sports equipment
The Coquitlam city-wide garage sale and giveaway event takes place 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 27 and 28.
Can't participate? Got left-overs?
Coquitlam city staff have also listed a series of options for homeowners to donate or safely dispose of their unwanted household items:
- Check out the organizations and locations on our Guide to Donating Locally
- Residents who receive Coquitlam's curbside collection service can request curbside pickup of up to four large items such as furniture, white goods or mattresses with the Large-item Pickup program by calling Waste Connections of Canada at 604-636-3521
- Visit coquitlam.ca/LIPU for more
- Recycle items such as books, batteries, glass containers and more at the City's Recycling Depot within Town Centre Park on Trevor Wingrove Way
- Check coquitlam.ca/Recycling for accepted products
- Residents can use the Waste Wizard search tool to enter whatever item they need to recycle, giveaway or dispose of and to find out where and how to dispose of it correctly
- Find the search tool at coquitlam.ca/WasteWizard
- Drop off items at the United Boulevard Recycling and Waste Centre (995 United Blvd.)
- Free drop-off for flexible plastic packaging, plastic bags, beverage containers, cardboard, books, textiles, batteries, expanded polystyrene, light fixtures, cooking oil, paint products, pesticides and gasoline, propane tanks, electronics and more.
- Must show proof of Coquitlam residency