The arenas are silent no more. The squeak of rubber soles on concrete is back, as is the thwack of the lacrosse ball off the end boards.
The BC Junior A Lacrosse League launches its eight-game summer showcase series on Tuesday, when the Langley Thunder face the New Westminster Jr. Salmonbellies at Queen’s Park Arena.
The Coquitlam Adanacs host the Salmonbellies the next night, at the Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex, while the PoCo Saints open their contracted season on Thursday in Langley.
The Adanacs and Saints play each other Friday, July 9, at the PoCo Rec Centre.
After the cancellation of the 2020 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic, BCJALL commissioner Karl Christiansen said it was imperative the league find some sort of way to stage competitive games this season so its young players could continue to develop and showcase their skills to college recruiters and scouts from senior leagues like the Western Lacrosse Association.
While players continued to work out in small groups, the resumption of games was made possible when British Columbia moved to Phase 2 of its restart plan on June 15 that allowed indoor sports with no spectators and accelerated yet again on July 1, when Phase 3 kicked in and teams are once again allowed to travel for sport. Venues will also be opened to accommodate up to 50 spectators or 50% capacity, whichever is greater, although when that happens at facilities like Poirier and PoCo Rec will be determined by local authorities.
According to the city of Coquitlam’s website, spectators will be allowed at Poirier as of July 5, and areas of the complex that had been closed, such as lobbies and the café, will also reopen.
Coquitlam Adanacs schedule
- Wed. July 7 NW Salmonbellies 7:30 p.m. Poirier Sports and Leisure
- Fri. July 9 PoCo Saints 8:00 p.m. PoCo Community Centre
- Wed. July 14 Langley Thunder 7:30 p.m. Poirier Sports and Leisure
- Thu. July 15 Burnaby Lakers 7:30 p.m. Copeland Arena
- Wed. July 21 Langley Thunder 7:30 p.m. Poirier Sports and Leisure
- Sat. July 24 Victoria Shamrocks 4:00 p.m. Panorama Rec Centre
- Fri. July 30 NW Salmonbellies 7:30 p.m. Poirier Sports and Leisure
- Sat. July 31 Delta Islanders 7:00 p.m. Ladner Leisure Centre
PoCo Saints schedule
- Thu. July 8 Langley Thunder 7:30 p.m. Langley Events Centre
- Fri. July 9 Coquitlam Adanacs 8:00 p.m. PoCo Community Centre
- Fri. July 16 Burnaby Lakers 8:00 p.m. PoCo Community Centre
- Sat. July 17 Nanaimo Timbermen 4:00 p.m. Nanaimo Ice Centre
- Sun. July 18 Victoria Shamrocks 3:00 p.m. PoCo Community Centre
- Wed. July 21 Delta Islanders 7:00 p.m. Ladner Leisure Centre
- Fri. July 23 NW Salmonbellies 8:00 p.m. PoCo Community Centre
- Fri. July 30 Langley Thunder 8:00 p.m. PoCo Community Centre