Events at Coquitlam parks and facilities have been cancelled for the month of May but the city said plans are still going forward for some of the larger summer festivals — at least, for now.
In a press release Friday, staff said they would be monitoring directions from B.C.’s provincial health officer aimed at limiting the spread of COVID-19 before making a final decision on further cancellations.
“Coquitlam has not yet cancelled any large event bookings scheduled after May, and is also continuing to plan the city’s popular summertime events such as Canada Day, Neighbourhood Nights, Summer Concert Series and Kaleidoscope,” the city said in a press release. “However, this may change at any time based on public health directives.”
Coquitlam had previously said that all bookings and facility rentals until the end of April were cancelled. The latest announcement extends the cancelations to May 30.
In the March 27 press release, the city said it would be contacting events organizers directly to offer a full refund, advice and support.
Port Coquitlam is also waiting for more information before deciding whether to move forward with its Canada Day plans, which include a large celebration and fireworks at Castle Park.
“We have not made any decisions about events taking place June onwards,” said Pardeep Purewal, the city’s manager of communications. “We will inform the community as soon as decisions have been made.”
Last week, Port Coquitlam said it would be postponing May Day celebrations, Volunteer Recognition Awards, the PoCo Farmers Market opening, Public Works Day and the city-wide garage sale.
“The intent is to ensure the safety of residents by limiting gatherings where social distancing can’t be controlled,” Purewal added.