The information about the second violation came to public light last week in a report from Tango, the project managers handling the downtown recreation complex rebuild on behalf of the city.
In its April-May Community Centre update for the city’s committee of council last Tuesday, Tango noted a dump truck with a raised box hit overhead lines on Kelly Avenue April 8. Nobody was hurt.
No one from Ventana, the design-builders, was immediate available for comment but a WorkSafeBC document obtained by The Tri-City News Wednesday states the incident took place before 9:30 a.m. when the driver was leaving the city lot for Kelly Avenue, east of Kingsway Avenue.
All three employers related to the incident — the prime contractor, Ventana Construction (PoCo) Corp.; subcontractor Conwest Contracting; and G. Mann Trucking, a subcontractor to Conwest — were ordered by WorkSafe BC to complete a report about the accident within the month.
At its July 2 committee meeting, councillors voiced concern while Fire Chief Nick Delmonico said his department wasn’t called for assistance.
Coun. Steve Darling, the council liaison for community safety, said the latest accident “is more egregious” than the crane tip.
March 1, a crane mounted on a 10-tonne delivery truck tipped over at the rec complex and leaked fuel. Nobody was injured and WorkSafeBC was called to investigate. Traffic was shut down along Kingsway, from Tyner to Wilson, for two hours for a tow truck to right the crane truck, which was delivering drywall.
The city is expected to open the first phase of $132-million PoCo community centre next month.