About 2,100 homes in Coquitlam and Burnaby were without power at around noon Friday, July 12, in an area surrounding the intersection of Brunette Avenue and Lougheed Highway.
The outage was caused when a high voltage line running down a street dropped onto a lower voltage line. The resulting surge sparked a fire in the electrical panel embedded in a wall of a Coquitlam suite. Coquitlam Fire and Rescue responded, containing the blaze to the room where the fire started.
No one was hurt in the fire, according to firefighters.
A spokesperson for BC Hydro said crews have performed switching to bring back more than half the affected customers, but that there are still about 720 homes without power.
Crews restored power to the remaining homes by about 4:30 p.m. on Friday, according to BC Hydro.