Port Coquitlam looks at lessons learned from rain storm

Better coordination with BC Hydro and the availability of sandbags for PoCo homeowners whose properties may flood were the two take-aways from the Jan. 31 storm response.

Better coordination with BC Hydro and the availability of sandbags for Port Coquitlam homeowners whose properties may flood were the two take-aways from the Jan. 31 storm response, the city’s chief administrative officer told council Tuesday.

CAO Kristen Dixon outlined how city crews prepared for the deluge that was predicted five days earlier, and how the public was alerted about the storm.

article continues below

Still, despite the municipality’s efforts to be ready, a Hyde Creek culvert blockage that spilled water onto Coast Meridian Road and surrounding streets — seeping into at least 10 homes between Lincoln and Patricia avenues — prompted officials to open a reception area at Hyde Creek recreation centre for three hours.

The debris was cleared from the culvert by Feb. 4, she said.

Dixon said there was miscommunication between city managers and BC Hydro about when the power could be restored to the flooded properties. As well, there was an issue about when the sandbags could be collected by homeowners.

Dixon said the storm was a good reminder for PoCo residents to have three days worth of supplies in case of an emergency.

Visit portcoquitlam.ca/city-services/community-safety/emergency-preparedness to learn more about how to keep safe. 

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Tri-City News

Tri-City News POLL

Do you support changes announced last week to how ICBC handles injury claims?

or  view results