Port Moody seeks demolition of fire tragedy house

Council will consider whether to initiate a formal remedial action order against the owner of the property

A house in the 3300 block of Dewdney Trunk Road that was heavily damaged by a fire in 2016 that killed a woman and left her six children homeless needs to be fixed up or the city of Port Moody could have it torn down.

At its meeting Tuesday, council will consider whether to initiate a formal remedial action order against the owner of the property, Morgan Crest Development Corporation of Surrey. The company would then have 30 days to comply with the order, or 14 days to request a hearing for the order to be reconsidered. If either deadline isn’t met, the city could tear down the house with the owner being sent the bill.

article continues below

In a report to council, Port Moody’s senior bylaw enforcement officer, Patrik Kolby, said the city has made repeated attempts to request the owner repair the damaged home that was boarded up immediately after the fire. It also issued two fines under the city’s unsightly premise bylaw, one in January, 2018, and another in March, 2019. Neither has been paid.

Kolby said the city did receive an application for a building permit last August to restore the home,  but it remains pending because of several issues in the application. He said there was also a complaint last November that people or animals had entered the home, as well as an odour of natural gas in the area. The meter was immediately inspected by Fortis BC, and three days later the owner installed more boards to secure the premises.

But other than that, Kolby said, the home has remained untouched, with broken windows, burned siding and missing exterior doors.

“Despite repeated assurance from the director of Morgan Crest Development Corp., no repairs have been made,” Kolby’s report said.

In July, 2016, police responding to a domestic dispute at the home found it engulfed in flames, with two adults still inside. Officers discovered the woman with extensive burns to her body and she succumbed to her injuries later that day in hospital. An adult male, believed to be her husband, was arrested at the scene and later charged with second degree murder. He pled guilty in 2018 and was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Five of the couple’s six children were home at the time of the fire. They ranged in age from five to 18-years-old, and all escaped. One, who had made the initial call to 911, got out from the home’s top floor.

— with file from Sarah Payne





Read Related Topics

© Copyright Tri-City News

Tri-City News POLL

Should the federal government force airlines to limit passengers due to COVID-19?

or  view results