School District 43’s newest school already has a principal overseeing the planned September opening.
Remi Collins, currently principal of Leigh elementary school, will become principal of Smiling Creek elementary school, now under construction at 3456 Princeton Ave., Coquitlam, effective July 1 but will be looking after both schools until then, according to a list of principal appointments. Andrea Hunter, currently vice-principal at Leigh, will become its principal beginning July 1.
The announcement comes as the district establishes catchment boundaries for the new school, which will take in Burke Mountain families from the ravine west of Glenbrook Street, Pinecone Burke Park on the northern boundary, the ravine east of Kingston Street in the east and the north side of David Avenue on the south.
The 3,700-square-metre, two-storey school will include 15 classrooms for kids in Grades 1 to 5 and four kindergarten classrooms, and will create 430 new student spaces: 80 kindergarten and 350 elementary. It will also include a neighbourhood learning centre with a gym and a multi-purpose room with a kitchen, according to provincial government information.
It will also feature natural light and recycling centres throughout the building.
The project includes a park and grass sports field next to the school that students and the community will have access to as part of an agreement between the city of Coquitlam and SD43. (The city has also provided $2.8 million to build the park and grass sports field next to the school.)
Other principal changes coming into effect Feb. 1:
• Elementary principal appointments: Nicole Daneault moves from principal of Anmore elementary to principal of Glen elementary; and Jason Hewlett moves from district principal human resources to principal Anmore elementary.
• Middle school principals: Sarah Husband moves from principal at Glen to principal at Montgomery middle; and Rob McFaul moves from principal of Monty to principal of Hillcrest middle.
• Secondary vice-principals: Dave Jones moves from teacher at Dr. Charles Best secondary to vice-principal at Best; Jody Moss moves from v-p at Heritage Woods secondary to the same job at Port Moody secondary; and Jill Reid moves from vice-principal Port Moody secondary to vice-principal Heritage Woods secondary.
• Secondary principals: Jon Bruneau and Anthony Ciolfitto, currently principals of Centennial and Riverside secondary schools respectively, will be swapping jobs.
• District administrative appointments: Nadine Tambellini moves from principal at Hillcrest middle to district principal, human resources; and Dave Truss moves from vice-principal of LINC (Inquiry Hub and Coquitlam Open Learning) to principal Millside IHub, Suwa’lkh, Coquitlam Open Learning).
As well Rob Lederer, vice-principal at Best, is retiring.