The Coquitlam parks team will be hosting a series of outdoor excursions for beginner and intermediate hikers starting next month.
Participants can learn the ten essential items to pack and watch a presentation by Ian McArthur about hiking preparedness and where to hike in the Tri-Cities. The presentation will be held on May 8 between 7 and 9 p.m. at the Glen Pine Pavilion.
Beginner hikes start on May 16 between 6 to 8 p.m. when the group will visit Miller Ravine and the Chines for a 4-km trip.
The Buntzen Ridge program starts with an information session and short walk on May 28 between 7 and 9 p.m. followed by additional hikes on:
• Sunday, June 9, 1 to 4 p.m.
• Saturday, June 15, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Saturday, June 22, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The beginner hiking program wraps up on Aug. 29 with the Fraser River Sunset hike between 6 and 8:30 p.m.
The first intermediate hike will take place at Belcarra and Admiralty Point on Saturday, May 11, between 2 and 6 p.m. followed by a 6-km Ridge Park hike on May 22 between 6 and 9 p.m.
There are two four-week intermediate hiking programs, including the Diez Vista, which takes place on the following dates:
• Thursday, May 30, 6:30 to 9 p.m. (information session)
• Sunday, June 9, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Sunday, June 16, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Sunday, June 23, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The second four-week Munro and Dennett Lake program will take place on the following dates:
• Sunday, July 7, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Sunday, July 14, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Sunday, July 21, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Sunday, July 28 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
For more information and to register for a hike go to www.coquitlam.ca/outdoors.