How have you been affected by the coronavirus outbreak? We want to hear your questions, stories and concerns. Here’s how you can get in touch.
The last 10 days have been busy for news as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread and some important info may have gotten lost in the shuffle. Here is a quick timeline showing all of the facilities that have closed in Coquitlam.
• March 16: The city announced it would be closing all recreation facilities and cancelling events and spring break camps. Facilities include the Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex, the City Centre Aquatic Complex, Glen Pine Pavilion, Dogwood Pavilion, Pinetree community centre, Smiling Creek, Summit and Centennial activity centres, Victoria community hall, the Getaway and Landing youth centres, city archives, city hall annex, Austin works yard and the Mundy Park Field House.
• March 18: Some of the civic buildings not included in the March 16 announcement are officially closed to the public, including city hall, all fire halls, the Coquitlam Animal Shelter, the Coquitlam RCMP HQ and Robinson Memorial Cemetery Park offices.
• March 19: Out of an abundance of caution, the city said it would be temporarily closing city playgrounds. Most playgrounds in the area are roped off.
• March 22: After a weekend where many park users were not maintaining social distancing as directed by the B.C.’s provincial health officer, the city shut down public washrooms, sports fields, sport courts and skateparks. Nets were removed and basketball rims were blocked.
• March 23: Pets start to feel the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic when the city announced it would close its off-leash dog parks. Again, the city said many people have not been observing appropriate social distancing, which resulted in the closure.
“While most members of the community are following the measures ordered by B.C.’s provincial health officer, city officials continue to observe people congregating in groups, and others failing to use appropriate personal hygiene measures.”
Read more of our COVID-19 coverage here.