With the U.S. presidential election campaign set to kick into high gear this week, a group of U.S. citizens known as Democrats Abroad Vancouver are hosting a double-header watch party for the U.S. Democratic presidential primary candidate debates.
“All eyes on are on the field of Democratic challengers, each now making their case to US voters that they are the nominee who can beat Donald Trump in the general election to be held November 3, 2020,” wrote chair of the group Susan Brennan in an email.
The number of Democratic candidates seeking their party’s nomination has ballooned this year to 20. As a result, the debates will be broken into two nights, on Wednesday, June 26, and Thursday, June 27.
First Debate, June 26, multiple locations
- Elizabeth Warren, Senator from Massachusetts; former Harvard professor
- Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York City
- Cory Booker, Senator from New Jersey; former mayor of Newark
- Amy Klobuchar, Senator from Minnesota; former Hennepin County, MN, attorney
- Beto O’Rourke, Former congressman from Texas; 2018 Senate candidate for Texas
- Jay Inslee, Governor of Washington state; former congressman
- John Delaney, Former congressman from Maryland; former businessman
- Tulsi Gabbard, Congresswoman from Hawaii; Army National Guard veteran
- Julián Castro, Former housing secretary; former mayor of San Antonio
- Tim Ryan, Congressman from Ohio, served in Ohio State Senate 2001-2002, Attorney
Second Debate, June 27, multiple locations
- Joe Biden, Former Vice President; former senator from Delaware
- Bernie Sanders, Senator from Vermont; former congressman
- Kirsten Gillibrand, Senator from New York; former congresswoman
- Kamala Harris, Senator from California; former attorney general of California
- Michael Bennet, Senator from Colorado
- Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of South Bend; military veteran
- Eric Swalwell, Congressman from California
- John Hickenlooper, Former governor of Colorado; former mayor of Denver
- Marianne William, Self-help author; new age lecturer
- Andrew Yang, Former tech executive who founded an economic development nonprofit
The events are free to attend, but organizers suggest picking up a ticket from Eventbrite to reserve a spot.
U.S. and dual citizens can find more information about voter registration here.
Outside the United States, Canada is home to more voting-age U.S. citizens than anywhere else in the world, and when it comes to cities with the highest population of U.S. citizens abroad, Metro Vancouver consistently ranks within the top five.