The Internet makes it possible to do everything yourself, including selling your house. But just because it’s possible doesn’t mean it’s the best idea, according to REALTOR® Daniel Card.
“You’re always better off to go with a REALTOR®,” says Card, a Realtor with Royal LePage West R.E.S. in Port Coquitlam. “Not only do REALTORS® protect the client’s interests at all times, they invariably make the client more money.”
There are 6 reasons listing with a REALTOR® is a safer, faster and less expensive process, Card says:
1. Serious buyers expect to pay less. Buyers looking for homes for sale by owner expect the commission cost to be cut from the price, and will adjust their offer accordingly.
2. Realtors have insurance.Selling a home is a complicated financial transaction. Realtors have insurance to cover all contingencies in case anything goes wrong in the process. Omissions or errors in a contract can be costly mistakes without insurance.
3. Realtors have a network to rely on. Every Realtor has an extensive list of contacts. The MLS listing site is available to all Realtors – about 13,000 in the Greater Vancouver area. Those Realtors also email listings to clients looking for a specific type of property.
4. Realtors have specific skills and resources. There are many things Realtors do in the selling process, from listing the property on MLS, to marketing and staging the home, to creating feature sheets for the property.
5. Realtors know what makes a serious buyer. It can be hard for a homeowner to tell lookers from buyers. Realtors are trained to do so, and most prequalify their buyers before taking them to look at a property.
6. Realtors are trained negotiation experts.They’re trained in techniques that will get sellers the most money. The average property For Sale By Owner will sell for significantly less than it would through a Realtor.