Skip to content

Coquitlam heritage home — built in 1917 — to be restored

The Maillardville house is known as the Beaubien Residence as it was originally owned by Joseph Alphonse Beaubien.

One of Coquitlam's oldest homes has been saved from the wrecking ball.

Last night (Dec. 12), after a public hearing, city council granted second and third readings for a Heritage Revitalization Agreement (HRA) to restore and protect the heritage house at 1125 Cartier Ave.

Located at the corner of Bégin Street, a block west of the Maillardville Community Centre and Laval Square, the house is known as the Beaubien Residence as it was originally owned by Joseph Alphonse Beaubien.

The American-born miner bought the property in 1910 from the Canadian Western Lumber Company that operated the Fraser Mills — one of the largest sawmills in the British Empire at the time.

According to a city report, the penultimate owner put forward an application in 2020 to demolish the house; however, the next month, city council issued a 60-day protection order for city staff to work with that owner.

The 6,300 sq-ft. property was then sold to Himanshu Chauhan, who is now proposing to restore the two-storey heritage house and add a detached duplex to the lot.

On Monday, city council voted 8-1 in favour of the redevelopment, with Coun. Brent Asmundson opposing because of the tandem parking arrangement.

Built around 1917 by the two Beaubien brothers, the Residence is a Colonial Revival-style building modelled on the American Fousquare design.

It is also sited across the road from the Paré home, which was restored through an HRA in 2011.

The Beaubien Residence is significant for Coquitlam as it has a wrap-around verandah and a widow’s walk (viewing platform) from the second level.

Council is expected to grant fourth and final reading of the HRA early in the new year.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks