It appears there's been an uptick in break-and-enters across Port Coquitlam.
According to Coquitlam RCMP, this includes those at residential properties, businesses and from vehicles, resulting in several reported thefts.
Mounties are set to keep an eye on two predetermined "hotspots" in the city for the next two weeks where related criminal activity has taken place.
The latest CompStat report has also prompted police to urge the public once again to ensure all steps are being taken when it comes to protecting personal property.
- Locking doors and closing windows
- Parking in well-lit/well-populated areas where "natural surveillance" can serve as a deterrent
- Closing garage doors at night
- Taking your garage opener, house and/or business keys and vehicle registration papers out of your vehicle when it’s parked
- If thieves stole these items, they could use them to commit other crimes including identity theft and break-and-enter
From now until Sept. 7, residents can expect RCMP in the following neighbourhoods:
- From Shaughnessy Street in the west to Oxford Street in the east
- From Salisbury Avenue in the north to Suffolk Avenue in the south
- From Reeve Street in the west to Eastern Drive in the east
- From Elgin Ave in the north to Oughton Drive in the south
Anyone who witnesses suspicious activity is encouraged to call Coquitlam RCMP at 604-945-1550 or call 911 if there’s a theft in progress.