A Vancouver-based coffee roaster is making headway into the Tri-Cities, launching a new café in Coquitlam in the coming months.
JJ Bean Coffee Roasters is renovating space at Sunwood Square, a major mall at the corner of Lougheed Highway and Westwood Street. Previously, the space was used by Roos Pub Liquor Store and other pop-up businesses.
This will be the second café for the popular chain in the Tri-Cities, as there is already a JJ Bean at Suter Brook shopping plaza and residential area at 77-400 Capilano Rd. in Port Moody.
As well, the company has numerous outlets throughout Vancouver, Burnaby and North Vancouver. The Coquitlam café would bring to 24 the number of stores in Metro Vancouver.
Owned by the Neate family, which has been roasting coffee in Vancouver for four generations, the coffee shop is expected to open at the beginning of June, depending on how construction and permits go, a representative said.
The company was started in 1996, by John Neate Jr. (JJ) who established JJ Bean Coffee Roasters to “honour people through great coffee, food, spaces and service,” a website states.
It follows an "Over and Above" program to pay coffee producers fair prices for beans, supports clean water in Ethiopia and a number of other fundraising initiatives.
In addition to specially roasted coffee and teas, JJ Bean has a large menu of baked goods and meal items including several breakfast wraps such as:
- spinach and feta breakfast sandwich (vegetarian)
- egg, spinach and feta cheese mix, mozzarella cheese and tomato on an everything bagel
- umami mushroom breakfast wrap: vegan plant-based egg (JUST EggTM), marinated and roasted umami mushrooms, potato hash, plant-based spiced mayo in a red bell pepper flour tortilla
- turkey chorizo breakfast wrap
- turkey chorizo hash, scrambled eggs, jack cheese and cilantro-lime sauce in a red bell pepper tortilla
- ranchero breakfast wrap (vegetarian)
- spicy vegetable hash, cage-free scrambled eggs, black beans, jack, cheddar, habanero mozzarella, chipotle mayo and cilantro-lime sauce on a flour tortilla
The location of the new Tri-Cities' JJ Bean coffee shop is 940-3025 Lougheed Hwy., Coquitlam.