Grade 5 students in School District 43 (SD43) can skate, swim and have fun in Tri-Cities civic recreation centres for free during their academic year.
And Grade 6 students can also drop in a dozen times — at no charge — at local rec hubs.
The Get Active! and Stay Active! passes that launched this month are courtesy of the cities of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody with the aim to get youth participating in physical activities at indoor pools, rinks and gyms.
Valid until Sept. 2, 2024, the annual cards are also available for students in independent and private schools, as well as Tri-Cities students being homeschooled.
To get a card, parents or caregivers must provide the following information at a rec complex:
- verification letter from a school confirming enrolment in SD43 (letters are handed out in September by school administrators)
- birth certificate or care card that shows the age of the youth
- utility or phone bill with your address on it to prove your residency (driver's licences and PO boxes don’t qualify)
Students must be present to take a photo for the card.
If the Grade 5 card is lost or damaged, a replacement can be bought for $5; however, Grade 6 cards can’t be replaced.
The Get Active! or Stay Active! cards must be shown to the cashier for admission. Students without their cards will be required to pay the regular entry fee.
And if the card is used by anyone other than the registered cardholder, the city has the right to withdraw the card from the owner.
The participating recreation centres are:
- Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex (pool and arena)
- 633 Poirier St.
- Pinetree Community Centre
- 1260 Pinetree Way
- City Centre Aquatics Complex
- 1210 Pinetree Way
- Hyde Creek Recreation Complex
- 1379 Laurier Ave.
- Port Coquitlam Community Centre
- 2150 Wilson Ave.
- Port Moody Social Recreation Centre
- 300 Ioco Rd.