Skip to content

17 dead, 74 infected at Coquitlam coronavirus outbreak

At nearby Nicola Lodge in Port Coquitlam, test-positive coronavirus cases had surged to 22 residents and 13 staff, with one death

A COVID-19 outbreak at a Coquitlam long-term care home has led to the death of 17 residents, the Tri-City News has learned. 

A total of 74 people — 43 residents and 31 staff members — have tested positive for the coronavirus at the Lakeshore Care Centre in Coquitlam, according to a spokesperson for Fraser Health.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 30, the facility remained under outbreak protocols, meaning only essential access in and out of the building. When a man from the BC Centre for Disease Control arrived to pick up a box of test samples, the package was quickly shuttled to him through a crack in the door. 

Inside, common areas had been completely cleared out of furniture. A few residents could be observed staring out the windows as health care staff in full personal protective equipment worked with medical equipment behind them. 

The Tri-City News requested to speak with management but they refused to comment on the conditions inside. 


Lakeshore is one of over two dozen long-term care and assisted living homes across B.C. under lockdown due to a COVID-19 outbreak. 

In nearby Port Coquitlam, test-positive cases at an outbreak at Nicola Lodge had surged to 22 residents and 13 staff members by the afternoon of Dec. 29, according to a Fraser Health spokesperson.

A spokesperson for Sienna Seniors Living, Nicola Lodge’s parent company, confirmed one resident has so far succumbed to the virus. 

“We understand the situation is difficult for residents and stressful for families, and we are frequently communicating in various ways, including virtual town halls and e-newsletters to provide information,” wrote Sienna spokesperson Natalie Gokchenian.

Last week, Nicola Lodge health care workers spoke to the Tri-City News on condition of anonymity, alleging the care home had failed to properly manage the outbreak and was unnecessarily putting residents and staff at risk.

Spokespeople for Sienna Living and Fraser Health both denied the allegations of mismanagement.