Coquitlam residents can beat the heat this weekend at one of three cooling centres.
Yesterday (Friday), the municipality opened these civic facilities after temperatures soared all week past 30 C:
- City Centre Aquatic Complex (1210 Pinetree Way)
- Saturday: 5:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Sunday: 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Glen Pine Pavilion (1200 Glen Pine Court)
- Saturday: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Sunday: noon to 9 p.m.
- Poirier Sport & Leisure Complex (633 Poirier St.)
- Saturday: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Sunday: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Parking is free or you can take public transit as the venues are along major routes.
Pets are allowed.
Each cooling facility will have water, bathrooms and seats for guests.
You can also stay cool at these outdoor spots:
- Misting stations (available from 1 to 9 p.m.)
- Spirit Square (off Burlington Drive, opposite Coquitlam city hall)
- Mundy Park (off Hillcrest Street, between the playground and picnic shelters)
- Town Centre Park (TD Community Plaza area and by the Percy Perry Stadium)
- Spray parks (available 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Blue Mountain Spray Park (975 King Albert Ave.)
- Burns Park Spray Park (802 Edgar Ave.)
- Cottonwood Spray Park (672 Aspen St.)
- Galloway Spray Park (3404 Galloway Ave.)
- Mackin Spray Park (1046 Brunette Ave.)
- Norm Staff Spray Park (3320 David Ave.)
- Panorama Spray Park (1485 Johnson St.)
- Rochester Spray Park (1390 Rochester Ave.)
- NEW – Sheffield Spray Park (3510 Sheffield Ave.)
- Town Centre Spray Park (1299 Pinetree Way)
To find a park for shade, go to www.coquitlam.ca/parkfinder.
To find an outdoor pool, go to www.coquitlam.ca/outdoorpools.
To find a community centre, visit www.coquitlam.ca/reccentres.
The temperature is expected to drop on B.C. Day, Monday (Aug. 1).
Meanwhile, Coquitlam residents are being asked to check on their family members, friends and neighbours who are elderly or vulnerable and may need help to stay safe during the heat wave.
The city’s bylaw officers will also be on patrol with water to hand out to people in need and check in on at-risk individuals.